Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Clemuel

A trespasser was struck at the west end of Great Neck station at 11 AM on Saturday... no word yet on what he was doing there or if he survived...

Probably one of the few places where an incident such as this wouldn't tie up the entire Belmont Breeders' Cup program.

Clemuel

by 9C1LT1

Hi Clem,

Thanks for the information, as I just heard on the news that PW branch service is suspended with "Police Activity" at Great Neck. Here come the buses!

-Barry

by NIMBYkiller

Wow, and I was going to go to the city, but I missed the train because I got caught up on the parade traffic in town, so I bailed on that idea. Guess I wouldn't have made it too much further anyway. I was supposed to be on the 11:39.

by NIMBYkiller

6453(the 1:39 train out of PW) has just been cleared west at leaving time as of 1:35....I guess it's all clear.

by NIMBYkiller

Now I'm confused.....6457 was just cleared out of Port Washinton at 1:46. I guess they're just trying to get all of those trains that were supposed to leave out. So I take it 6453 was really the 11:39, 6457 was the 12:39, now I'll just wait to hear the 1:39 get cleared out and maybe I'll be right with my guessing, lol.

by 4 Express

Today, I rode the 2:22 train to Little Neck and no anouncements were made nor did anything look wrong.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

The victim was a 77 year old Port washington Man. The Police are calling it a suicide. he jumped or fell in front of a train pulling into the station. :(
  by freightguy

I don't recall this many tresspasser deaths up to date. It seems every week there is another one and they're all over the place not just the usual hotspots. Does anybody from the railroad have an exact count? This is the time of year where train vs pedestrians accidents tend to pick up. Some people just like to take the cowards way out. Hopefully this trend will slow down the OTP is hurting.
  by Noel Weaver

Nine previous entries on this one and yet NOT ONE WORD of sympathy
for the engineer nor the crew of the train involved in this unfortunate
incident.
The real sympathy should be directed especially toward the engineer of
the train involved in this.
Inconvience and delays will fade away in time but the engineer's memory
of this may last a lot longer in time.
Noel Weaver

by badneighbor

Mr Weaver... the Fire Department members who have to deal with, and sometimes search for remains don't have a very nice job either.

by Robert Paniagua

The real sympathy should be directed especially toward the engineer of
the train involved in this.

Yeah, same here, My heartfelt sympathy goes out to the train operator.

by badneighbor

i'm sure engineers who have had incidents always see these tragic images in their sleep. It is an all around tragedy, I have been there on the rescuer side, searching through brush along the ROW looking for remains or their belongings, seeing the blood and carnage is unforgettable, and the scene of family members in tears with the police officers is all a horrendous scene. We are all affected. I see comments in these threads when this happens from commuters and buffs who curse the victims, even if the act is intentional, it is so much more than a delay or switch to busses for the inconvenienced. You may be late getting home, but you will get there, and your kid or brother will be there. The relatives involved have to bury a child or sibling, and feel a chill whenever they drive over a crossing or hear the horns of a train in the distance. I know someone who lost a child this way just about a year ago, and his face sinks whenever a train whistle blows.