• HO scale PRR MP-54's coming soon

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by baileyjet2000

Announced in Model Railroader this week are MP-54 (PRR version) from Funero and Camerlengo. According to the announcement the car is a one peice polycarbonate rsin shell with thin film decals and Tichy Train Group grab irons and cast brake parts. No panographs or wheels are included. In addition the cars are or will be available with 2CP2 or Hyatt roller bearing trucks. Retail $59.99 ea.

From the picture on the web site the cars have the side ducts typical of PRR cars. should not be difficult to either sand down or shave off.

Now we need the combine, the baggage mail. the full RPO and the full baggage.

by R384149

can we make this into lirr ones?

by baileyjet2000

I havn't seen the actual kits at this time but changing them to be similer to the LIRR should not be diificult.

by Richard Glueck

But, oh Lordy, I hope they make them low enough priced so a person can buy four of them without a second mortgage!

by Dave Keller

Dick:

Buy 2 of them, create and end-to-end layout with a wye on one end and make believe you've got the Mitchell Field shuttle! :wink:

Dave Keller

by scopelliti

From the F&C site:

HO Scale 6961 Pennsylvania MP-54 Coach ONE PIECE BODY With Hyatt Roller Bearing Trucks and Decals LESS Pantograph and Wheels $59.99

Oh, and they are the older roof style - Clerestory(?)

by Richard Glueck

Dave, I am always amazed by the variety and depth of your collection. When I was young and railfanning on Long Island, I avoided "wasteing" film on some many everyday shots. Today they recall some very warming memories. In another two or three decades, I'll be gone, and with me and my colleagues, the experience of what Long Island Rail Roading was like. Nice to see it still can be mutely testified to.

by baileyjet2000

Dave:

Both interesting photos. The photo of the "older" cars, was it taken at Merillon Ave.?

If only I could have afforded a camera in my youth, all the opportunites that I missed. However we are fortunate that you Dave, as well as others share what you have with us that do not have. Thanks. By the way the books are great.

Ray Jensen

by Dave Keller

Ray:

Thanks for the compliments on my books. Glad you enjoy them. And yes . . . That is the old Merillon Ave. station!

Dick:

When I was young and began taking photos, my father, while taking me all over the island to take photos, discouraged me from taking many of the "everyday" shots of MUs, etc. He said it was a "waste of film."

Years later, they were gone and I had minimal photos. I managed to purchase negatives from others who obviously didn't listen to their fathers and took photos anyway! :wink:

I therby managed to get quite a nice archive of shots of equipment that I saw and rode and experienced but never photographed to "conserve film!"

Dave Keller

by Long Island 7285

I was the same way with the old diesel fleet, i never thought that there was anything to photograph till the late 90's when i realised it was soon going to be over, and like many of you, i only have the minimal shots i took and of course the many memories of the old fleet.

by scopelliti

Spoke to F&C today at Syracuse show.. they're starting the run of MP54s and 72s next week. Yes, 72s!

I asked about World's Fair cars in a one piece.. not for a while.. they would probably do the doubledeckers first.