Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Dave Keller

I'm putting together on my website a photographic evolution of LIRR cap badges from c. 1880 to the present day. I need some help with the later badges from some of you current LIRR men (and women).

I have only approximate dates for 3 type badges and need to narrow them down a bit more accurately. I need help with the following:

1. The badge that looks like the MTA badge with "L.I.R.R." above the position, only in the wider width (about 1 1/2")
2. The tall badge with the rounded top and logo, issued in Conductor and Asst. Conductor only and employee number printed thereon.
3. The narrow badge currently in use with the logo and employee number printed thereon.

I've always answered your questions to the best of my ability when asked. I'd appreciate some answers myself this time in return! :P

Thanks in advance, guys (and gals)!

Dave Keller

by Dave Keller

No ideas, ladies and gents?

Any approximate guesses on dates?

Surely someone at least knows about when the CURRENT badge went into effect!

Dave Keller

by RetiredLIRRConductor

I hired on in 1973 and got the thin silver badge that simply said
L.I.R.R. Conductor in blue. I believe the badge with the MTA logo and crown ( that looked like a subway conductor badge) were introduced around 1982 or so. They were so unliked by the crews they all suddenly "got lost". I wish i could find mine, it would be a nice collectors item. The current badge with the LIRR logo on it was introduced in the late 80's. sorry i cannot pin it down closer then that

by Dave Keller

LIRR Conductor:

Thanks so much for at least a ballpark estimate of years. It certainly helps give me an idea.

The narrow badge you wore when you hired on in 1973 was first issued in 1971.

Sometime after you hired on, that style badge was made much wider and only 3 positions were indicated: Conductor, Asst. Conductor and Collector. The Conductor badge was gold tone while the other two were silver tone.

The dates on that style are still a mystery to me so I'll have to say c. 1978 to c. 1982, the approximate date you provided for when the tall, subway-type badges appeared on the scene.

Thanks again!

Dave Keller

P.S. Anyone else out there with any ideas of dates? DK

by Dave Keller

Received word from a source "in the know" that the present uniform style went into effect 1/1/89. (Should anyone other than myself be interested!)

LIRR Conductor, you were very accurate with your recollection of the current badge being "Late 80s"!!!

That makes the Transit-style badge from c. 1982 to 1/1/89.

Anyone with a more specific date for the start of the Transit-style badges? If everyone disliked them so much, that should trigger some form of memory of year they were introduced! ("I hated them so much, I quit the railroad and I left the railroad in 1982, so the badges should date from 1982" See how simple this is! Elementary, my dear Watson! :wink:

If I can get an exact date on their start it will help me to better determine the period of use of the wider style MTA badges (Conductor, Asst. Conductor, Collector).

I'm fine with the narrow MTA badges (1971), all the way back to the 1880s, so I'm not asking for much research help here.

When Steve Lynch gets around to posting the badge evolution on my website, I'll let everyone know and provide a direct link to the page for those interested or curious or both! :-D

Dave Keller