• Port Jefferson bustitution for the next 3 weekends

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by pineywoodsman

I see that there's going to be buses instead of trains serving stations east of Huntington. They are doing switch replacement work.
I'd just like to know what kind of buses they are using. I may be going east this weekend and don't want to have a long ride on a stinky school bus. I've seen LIB do shuttle duty, but that's only usually in electric territory.
Being this is a planned thing hopefully LIRR had the foresight to use LIB or a coach carrier and not school buses.
Also what switches are they working on? Hopefully they'll be fixing Smithtown, that switch you have to go real slow over. Perhaps it's not the switch though, there's a pretty tight curve just west of it.

by LRail

It said on the MTA website that they are replacing switches east of Huntington. Are they leaving the switch to the old American Tissue in place?

by Legio X

Late this afternoon there was a crew working up on the Bread and Cheese Hollow trestle between Northport and Kings Park. Anybody know what they're doing up there? Speaking of Bread and Cheese Hollow Trestle, there's a great picture in Scala's Diesels of the Sunrise Trail of a train crossing the trestle. Too bad most of the trestle is obscured by trees. Also, too bad the old equipment is gone. I like the double-decker coaches, but the new locomotives don't grab me like the old Geeps, MP's and Century 420's.

by alcoc420

They have been working all day at Fox1 (kings park). Major production. As of 9PM, there must have been at least 50, maybe 100 workers. Three front end loaders, many dump trucks, and other mow trucks. MPs 161 and 166 were at the station with a flat and three Plasser conveyor/hoppers and another machine. Engines on the east end. Down at the switch was a big machine straddling the tracks.

by John 61

There were also some track cars up in the St.James team track today. As for the switch at the west end of Smithtown,( POST 1) the reason the train goes slow over it is because of the speed control. I think it's only a 15 code approaching the station eastbound since the train MUST stop in the station, gates lowered to receive a clear block. Trains heading west go over the POST 1 switch at MAS.

by alcoc420

I read a letter dated Oct. 24 from the LIRR construction dept today. It said Meadow Glenn [sic] Rd crossing will be replaced this Saturday, November 5. The crossing will be blocked. No detours. The police, fire dept, and hospitals will be notified. This is the 2nd crossing east of Northport station. MP 41.99.

by M1 9147

And also grade crossing renewal such as First Ave. crossing west of Kings Park Station. Main Street at Port Jefferson is also gonna get work done to it again this coming weekend. Last time that was done was during the major trackwork program on the Port Jeff Branch in 1995. Wow seems like yesterday, LOL!

by mjb777

Pinnywoodsman , They are using LIB's. I saw Buses that said L.I.R.R. service this is for the next two weekends.

by John 61

Today Nov 2, a rail train headed east through Smithtown about 15:05. It had one MP on the east end and # 153 on the west end. Threre were about a dozen LI gondolas with rail and also a front end loader in the last west car. Consist is most likely in the Port Jeff yard.

by alcoc420

The MPs came back west through Kings Park non-stop around 17:15. It sounded like they were pulling a heavy load.