Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by li7039

can you tell me where the outdors "pit' of penn station located and can you tell me how to get to it.

Is it a good spot for photo graphing trains and is tere a lot of cops around there

and also how long of a walk is it from penn to the pit

by Clemuel

Penn Station is between 7th & 8th Avenues.

The Post office is across the street, on 8th Avenue.

The pit is behind the Post Office, between the Post Office and the Learner Building, which faces 9th Avenue.

Across 9th Avenue from the Learner Building in the enterence to the West Side Storage Yard.

There's a parking lot on 33rd Street halfway between the two buildings that has a steel staircase that descends onto the retaining wall then down into the pit. I didn't tell you about it and it may be rusty and rotten having been exposed to the weather for some 70 years. It may be behind a locked gate. Be careful around that place.

Bums live there and we found a body thrown there once. Not the safest place for a trespasser.

Clem

by N340SG

Across 9th Avenue from the Learner Building in the enterence to the West Side Storage Yard.
Make it 10th Avenue. WSSY address is technically 401 Tenth Avenue.
Sorry to correct you, Clem, but I owed you one for this....
M of E was supposed to be watching for things like that, and they never get in trouble --- (eh, sorry Tom, couldn't resist.)
...We're even now :P :P :P

Tom

by Clem

Tom, you're the best -- and you'd know about 10th Avenue...

Yea, the pit's between 9th and 10th, as is the parking lot.

Clem

by M1 9147

I went there with LIRR 7285 last year, and it isn't too rough there now. The pit is right behind a parking lot at 9th Ave if you walk on 31st Street, you can see the pit with all the various equipment there.

by Long Island 7285

You can also see the pit from the top of the empire, along with WSY LIC floats and much more.