Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Fred G

Nice photos, Vin. That's one of my favorite railfanning spots along the Hudson.

by vingong

Thanks! This is my favorite spot to railfan, with the hills and trees in the background, along with Bannerman's Island Arsenal.

Come to think of it, I have an earlier set from last year. This was when I first got the camera I'm using now and testing it out:

http://public.fotki.com/vingong/hudson_ ... y_16_2004/

I got a rare treat: a CSX freight on THIS side of the Hudson. Too bad I was on the wrong side of the sun at the time. :(

by Fred G

I waited for the foliage to turn and returned up to our favorite spot, along with some other favorites of mine. Enjoy!

Foliage Shots Near Cold Spring
Last edited by Fred G on Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by vingong

Hi Fred, great pictures...my favorites are those at Garrison. Thanks for sharing!

by 4 Express

Breakneck Ridge is a great place to photo, but not just when it comes to railfanning related subjects, the whole area is nice.

by TW1976

Vinnie and Fred, you really have some fantastic shots of the Hudson Highlands! We live right next to the tracks in Garrison. You can't beat the scenery and the people in this area.

Did you stop into the little pub in Garrison Landing when you were there taking photos? It is like stepping back in time. A woman just wrote a book about the place "Little Chapel On The Hudson".

I will have to post some shots of the track and river views from behind our house one of these days. In the mean time keep yours coming!

by Fred G

Thanks, TW, and I'll keep that pub in mind for my next visit up there.

by TW1976

Fred,
The name of the pub in Garrison's Landing is Guinans. It is in the rear of the little country store on the river side of the tracks just adjacent to the southbound platform. The family that runs it has been there since the 1950's, very friendly place and a super spot to watch trains and traffic on the Hudson while you sit next to the fireplace enjoying a cold beer! The local crowd in there (which I am a newcomer to) are a wealth of information on the history of the Landing.

I also found another great spot to photograph trains in this area while I was out jogging last weekend. If you travel by car, it is on route 9D about 3 miles south of the route 403 and route 9D intersection. On the right side of 9D (the river side) Look for a sign that says "Outward Bound". Pull into that driveway and park in the lot. You will have to walk down a winding gravel road for about 1/2 mile. You will come upon a stone bridge over the Hudson Line tracks. I believe it is the bridge that appeared in the begining of the movie "Hello Dolly". The spectacular scenery you will encounter will make the walk worth your while!

by Fred G

Thanks again, TW, for the terrific information. Who knows, I may run into you up that way sometime.

by Fred G

Great photos, and thanks for the peek into the past, LI Loco.