• 4:05pm train from Port Jefferson

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by pineywoodsman

Considering the MTA has a surplus, I wish they would add some sorely needed reverse peak trains on the Port Jefferson line in the afternoon.
I haven't been on the 4:05pm weekday train out of Port Jefferson in awhile. Recently, I was reminded as to why I haven't been on it in awhile.
We get mobbed at Stony Brook with students, because the next train isn't until 6:49pm! We left Stony Brook with all seats taken and a few standees and the vestibules. By Smithtown we had trouble fitting people on the train, as loads of more people, and day laborers (LIRR is now being inundated by day laborers, like LI Bus). We were getting delayed at each stop as people tried to squeeze onto the train. At Northport, we sat for 10 min or so as they tried to fit people on the train and get the doors to close. Arrived at Huntington 20 min late, and squeezed my way off the train to get MU there. Our connecting MU was late too as it was held for our train.
This happens everyday from what I hear. Meanwhile I see many trains going in the other direction (eastbound) half empty. Perhaps if they can't add a train due to track avail or equipment, they should cut one of the e/b trains so they can get another train in between 5 and 6pm.
I did take a few pictures inside the train to show these crowded conditions..

I had to fight my way out as people were standing on the steps and packed the "mid level".

If this aint proof there needs to be an additional train between 4 and 7pm, I dont know what is!

by Long Island 7285

I agree either add another trains or make the the current a 8 car set if its not already. try something that like rideing in a live stock car, and yes the fire marcial would not like it. in an emergancy that crowding can caus havoc and delay responce time.
  by david b.

Yep, I know what you mean. New meaning to C-3s. (Cattle 3 to a seat).

When I wen to SB, this happened every Friday. Packed to the rim. If a fire broke out, many people would burn alive. Many times, the train would be so packed that the crew could not walk through the train so the ride was free, if an emergency occured, almost everone will die. No sight of a crew member for the whole trip. Also, the crew would often close the first car making a 3 car train. Imagine a small town shoved into a car designed to hold 120 or so people. Aisles were clogged, the midlevel was packed. Doors blocked. Once and only once did I see a 8 car train. Either run a 8 car train or add an additional train at 5:30PM to help relieve crowding. How many people want to ride on a death trap like that? On weekdays, the crowding was not as bad.

Granted I went to SB 3 years ago, it pisses me off that the LIRR did not change a damn thing.
Last edited by david b. on Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by pineywoodsman

Long Island 7285 wrote:I agree either add another trains or make the the current a 8 car set if its not already. try something that like rideing in a live stock car, and yes the fire marcial would not like it. in an emergancy that crowding can caus havoc and delay responce time.
I think that was a 4 car set I was on. It was like a livestock car, and if there an emergency it would have been horrible. One of the conductors said that he is going to take photos himself and bring them to the MTA, hoping to get some results.
I have to admit it was pretty scary having a great deal of difficulty getting off. If I was a Stony Brook student I'd rather bus it to Ronkonkoma and get the LIRR there. Or get home late. That ride was the worst LIRR ride I ever had.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

I dont think the railroad will be able to do much regarding another westbound train during those hours. the most you could hope for is more cars. Because of the 2 track mainline between queens and divide, the railroad is set up as and "eastbound "operation during the evening rush hour. The last train out of Ronkonkoma is 446, and the next one is at 7:13. There are only 9westbound trains on the mainline from hicksville to queens from 4:23PM untill 8:23. The Railroad is at its saturation point during those hours. Meanwhile, there are about 55 eastbound trains during that same period, with more during the summer season. So..until they build a 3RD track between divide, and queens you are kind of out of luck. :(

Bus

by david b.

Yep, i did that many times. SCT bus 3D to Central Islip and caught a EMU from there. Extra $1.00 but was worth it. 8 car train vs. 3-4 car (if the crew didn't close the first car) cattle class train. Also, fromCI to Jamaica, no change at Huntington BS. Now you change in Hicksville. (how long did it take for managment to figure that was a better idea?)

by pineywoodsman

LirrConductor wrote:I dont think the railroad will be able to do much regarding another westbound train during those hours. the most you could hope for is more cars. Because of the 2 track mainline between queens and divide, the railroad is set up as and "eastbound "operation during the evening rush hour. The last train out of Ronkonkoma is 446, and the next one is at 7:13. There are only 9westbound trains on the mainline from hicksville to queens from 4:23PM untill 8:23. The Railroad is at its saturation point during those hours. Meanwhile, there are about 55 eastbound trains during that same period, with more during the summer season. So..until they build a 3RD track between divide, and queens you are kind of out of luck. :(
At least let them add more cars then. That should be 8 cars. And no cars should be closed off. I'm suprised that the people didn't storm into front (closed) car.
This is exactly why we need the 3rd track on the mainline, as well as double tracking the entire PJ to Smithtown at least. Maybe I should send that photo to everyone in Floral Park. Perhaps everyone in Floral Park should be packed on a death trap like that. Maybe that'll make them stop crying foul about the extra track.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

I agree with you piney, If i were the Conductor of that train you could be assured that all the cars would have been open if needed. :-)

by alcoc420

I haven't studied west of Huntington for a while, but the LIRR could (and should) add an extra trainset on the Port Jeff without any additional track.
This would make hour headways easy. That level of service is what should be provided, considering the population density and ridership on the line. In turn, hour headways would likely increase ridership. People start to catch on that you can always catch an eastbound at x minutes after the hour, and a westbound at y minutes after the hour from a particular station. Over time some people start to change there travel habits.

The LIRR could fit another train or two in the westbound PM gap. Like the 4:05 from Port Jeff, the train would have to have a slow schedule, weaving around the eastbound parade, but it could be done. It would be a little easier if there were passing sidings at Greenlawn and St. James.

I remember in the 1980s I wrote the LIRR, stating that they could make a reverse commute in the AM rush. Train 604 at that time was an equipment train, speeding from Huntington to Smithtown between 5:30 and 6:00AM. Then from Smithtown to Port Jeff between 7:20 and 7:40 (approx.) The LIRR wrote back thanking me for the letter, but due to operational complexities it was not possible. A year later, they made 604 a reverse commute train (not exactly the schedule I came up with). I rode it yesterday and other times, and it seems heavily used. My point is the LIRR can do these things if they want to.

by LIRailfan79

There is a westbound train that leaves Huntington at 6:29pm. couldn't the LIRR schedule a diesal to leave Port Jeff around 5:30 to connect with this train? that way there is no additional train on the Main Line during rush hour. or maybe even have it connect with a KO train at Hicksville?

by LIRailfan79

Maybe this is only a problem on Fridays during the school year. i've taken that same train during the week in the summer and it was not cowded at all. maybe an exrtra train just on Fridays during the school year will fix the problem. Or, the easiest solution of all is to just add some more cars.

by John 61

I agree that Train # 655 is packed by the time it arrives Smithtown. Since I can see the tracks from where I work, this train is always packed during school months. It seems even worse if it's a holiday on the upcoming Monday or the Wed. night before Thanksgiving, Once it gets dark out early you can actually see how crowded it is as it rolls by. Back in the days of the "old coaches" the vestibules were also filled with people. Usually they were 5-6 car push-pulls but once in a while they were only 4 cars. Too bad the LIRR can't add at least one car to this equipment at Richmond Hill to coincide with this run as Train #655 on Fridays.