Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Indiana_Doc

What is happening over at Queens Interlocking? I have not been to LI in a year and am kinda outta the loop. Is the interlocking track layout changing or is the LIRR just reballasting and replacing worn out parts?

Indiana

by timz

To me the interlocking layout looks unchanged (so far) except they've installed two presumably-80-mph crossovers immediately west of the Belt Parkway: two left-hand crossovers alongside each other, from track 4 to 2 and 2 to 1. Several new cantilever signals, with black plastic bags over the position-light signals. Neither crossover is in use; the north one has a rail or two missing for some reason, but to the untutored eye the south one looks ready to go.

by de402

don't forget to hold onto your ass when hitting it at MAS. geeze, you get a real good jolt from that crappy POS section of track.

by Jersey_Mike

To me the interlocking layout looks unchanged (so far) except they've installed two presumably-80-mph crossovers immediately west of the Belt Parkway: two left-hand crossovers alongside each other, from track 4 to 2 and 2 to 1. Several new cantilever signals, with black plastic bags over the position-light signals. Neither crossover is in use; the north one has a rail or two missing for some reason, but to the untutored eye the south one looks ready to go.
Oh yeah, new position lights, rock on. Hope they don't mess with the classic QUEENS with its pneumatics and what not. Will the new crossovers do anything to change the poor mans HST's installed in the east end of QUEENS?
  by Head-end View

There was a story in Newsday last week about how the signal project for Queens and other interlockings has been extensively delayed due to problems with the new microprocessor equipment. This included Queens and Valley interlockings as well as a larger Jamaica to Speonk modernization. Bottom line is delays and cost overruns. :(

I think it's really strange that they're still putting in new position-light signals on one part of the LIRR and color-light sig's in other areas, like at PD tower. You would think they'd want to standardize on one type or the other for new installations. :wink:

by robertwa

I thought that they were supposed to upgrade Queens interlocking to 80mph in two stages. Half of it was done last (2004) summer and half was to be done this (2005) summer. But it doesn't look like anything was done this summer????