Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Ken V

matthew on Mon, May 14, 01 at 21:25 wrote: Where are all the railfans ? Is anyone out there even interested in VIA Rail Canada ? I have been to the amtrak forum and it blows the VIA one away ! I am only one person, I can only post so many messages ! Let's get something interesting started.
Thanks so much : Matthew
Kevin Hann on Tue, May 15, 01 at 9:53 wrote: When I was a teenager growing up in Pickering, I could spend just about eny evening and most of the weekend catching passenger train action (passenger being my real interest). It was great with a mix of Alco FPA4s and other F units, the occasional GP18 or GP9 on a corridor train, of course the Turbotrain, RDCs, etc. There was so much variety. Now it's LRC coaches or rebuilt stainless steel with F40s. Hopefully the new Nightstar equipment and those brutally ugly P42s will bring people back. It was great as a kid, you could have your parents sign a waiver and spend the day at Spadina yard in and around the roundhouse. Would VIA even let people on the property in Mimico now?
matthew on Tue, May 15, 01 at 16:09 wrote: First of all the GE P42 DC's are not ugly ! I like them. and no you can't go to the MImico maintence yard.
Krongh on Thu, May 17, 01 at 14:18 wrote: I like passenger trains too, and unfortunately I live in Nova Scotia, and there isn't much passenger train traffic out here. I remember when I was a kid they ran RDC's out here, but they're gone now. I should move to Toronto. I also hear that they are going to replace the stainless steel cars with the Nightstar on the Ocean. Anyone else hear?
marco on Tue, May 22, 01 at 19:52 wrote: Well Matthew,
I guess the answer is pretty simple: Nobody cares about VIA rail. There isn't much going on here in Canada. Why don't we have high-speed links connecting the big cities, or at least a reliable passenger network across Canada? Lack of interest? Check out Europe, where they have trains running 24/7 and of course the ICE and TGV!
Kevin on Wed, May 23, 01 at 7:51 wrote: The Toronto Star did a great article back in 1976 where two reporters left from the office in downtown Toronto. One flew to Montreal and the other took the Turbotrain. It was pretty well a draw in terms of time, considering the drive to and from the airports in both cities, traffic, etc. That's when the Turbo had a 4.5 hour schedule with stops at Guildwood/Kingston/Dorval. You could do the same thing now with the afternoon LRC express (one each way) that runs in 3hrs 59mins and it would be close, too. VIA does nothing to market itself in the corridor and has only one express train - at night! Without a dedicated right-of-way, or at least favourable scheduling from CN and tons of government subsidy, I don't think we'll see the likes of an Amtrak NEC or European TGV-like trains here.
gbl on Sat, May 26, 01 at 19:42 wrote: I agree .. VIA should market itself ..we here in Canada should use the train more then other forms of transportation.
The train is a great way to travel.
I use to take the plane when I travelled to Ottawa and Montreal for work. ...now I always take the train.
I find it relaxing, less stressful ..and if you go VIA 1 ..it is even better.
I think we all should start a campagn to force VIA and the Gov't to market and put this form of transportation first... ...after all .... was this not the form of transportation that united this great land in the begining ???
marco on Fri, Jun 1, 01 at 16:38 wrote: Good idea!
Let's get started!