• Place to Railfan in/around the Huntington Area

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by One of One-Sixty

I will have about 4 hours to kill inbetween meeting out near Huntington and was wondering, where are some good places to railfan in/around the Huntington area that will not draw alot of attention?

by alcoc420

Around the station is probably pretty good except parking is hard to find. I go there on weekends a couple of times a year when the parking is empty. Parking north of Depot Rd. is probably easier. Or you could park at Blackmun's on Depot Rd., look around their showroom, and then see what you can see from the parking lot. If you are too far west of rt. 110, you will miss half the DE's. Hopefully, someone else can correct me and add info.

by M1 9147

If the diesel consist parks on the north siding there, you won't miss it. And a good place to take that pic would be the southwest parking lot west of 110. If you have good zoom, you can even take a shot on the northwest parking lot right off Railroad Ave. I took shots of the old diesels at one time (GP38-2 #272 in 1997). Also if you are into MU consists, the platform offers good vantage points for shots. If lucky, and a diesel is in the right spot on the platform, you can get it too. Don't forget freight shots as well if you are lucky to get it.

by badneighbor

i don't know how nutty the homeland security crap will be there, but i had an awesome view there on the top level of the parking garage on the north side of the line. good angles, a really cool view. in fact, at night the view is cool, with the amber colored lights, it kind of changes the colors of everything a little.

by One of One-Sixty

Is there any other stations near by or crossing, even if I have to drive a bit I do not mind.

Or maybe a side street that is adjcent to any ROWs?

The reason I ask is because after all the hassles I now go through parking near Mineola with MTAPD even if it is a public city street with a paid meter. I now try etra hard not to make my prescence known.

by Long Island 7285

I would stay clear of the station thats an eletric terminous and i bet MTAPD stakes out not far from there to get us shutter buggs.

as for trying to make your preasents unknown trying can often lead to you getting hassled. I like to just blend in with the crowd of people or just look Like a passenger.

by One of One-Sixty

Trust me, I am very non-chalant about railfanning. I do not do anything to cause attention to myself, but it seems that a certain tower operator @ Nassau just do not like me, whenever I am in the area I always have the PD following me to and from my car and pulling me over for suspicous activites (I am a part-time Bail Enforncement Agent and Process Server so I am at the courts just up the street all the time).

But yet the millions of people who cross the lowered gates never get harrased. Maybe I should just start handing out pamphlets to them and then have the MTA PD called on me.

by Long Island 7285

One of One-Sixty,
The idea at the end of your post is great, i was thinking of making a slight bit more effective, brake out the "illeagle" cameras and start flashing away at them when we get hassled tell them that were doing them a favor by takeing pictures becaus there bussy harassing railfans and not helping the operation live saver as we railfans are doing volenterily.

i bet well catch some hell but some liberals shure would act on it when they see pictures of commuters hangng on MTAPD HQ and station buildings.

in a way its saying dont harass us for watching a train pass go get the reall danger witch is these indivisuals in the pictures, walkin round lowered gates, unless u feel that you are doing your self a major favor cleaning up there guts n body parts from the tracks.

im serious, this would definatly would get attention, peacefull protesting its legal. and as long as we dont get out of hand and be harassing to the people, just snap out shots n have pamphlits to hand out, but dont harass any one, when the cops come we are protesting our feelings about how we are treated by the MTAPD. its and organised event. they have them all the time. all the MTAPD can do is make shure we dont effect train operation nor hinder the movement of passengers in any way. just stand safe and freely and just snap shots of these accidents waiting to happen.

thats the only way to make modern America listen, is to get balls and to get out there in a force and protest your fealings, in a peacefull and approiate mannor, the MTA or feds cant do shit.
Excuse my unacceptable language.
  by Diverging Route

Head down Main Street and look for remnants of the Hamburger Choo-Choo Restaurant. (showing my age :( )