• Eurostar (Italia)

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by CoastStarlight99

I just came back from Europe and rode on the Italian Eurostar trains..they are rather nice, I enjoy riding Amtrak more...but these trains travel very nicely and I enjoyed the experience. Has anyone else been on a Eurostar train in Europe and have any comments? Does anyone know who makes them? Im intereasted in learning about these trains...Thanks

by drewh

Sorry but Eurostar does not run in Italy - there are many other trains of course that do.
The Eurostar Train

Eurostar is the first true international train. It connects the capital cities of France (Paris), England (London) and Belgium (Brussels). And it has set the standard for international rail travel.
http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/eurostar/train.htm

by texman

You are mistaken drewh - Italy does have a train called 'Eurostar' - http://www.railway-technology.com/projects/italy/ <--Theres all the info you need, Coaststarlight. A question for you too, why did you like Amtrak better?

by drewh

I stand corrected on the name. But do note that this is not part of the EuroStar Chunnel trains. There is no interconnection as of yet, though the above link hinted at joint French/Italian trains to Lyons.

Perhaps one day a thru train from London to Rome??

Its 2 hrs 35 mins London-Paris.
2 hrs Paris-Lyon.
2 hours maybe?? Lyon-Milano.
1 hr Milano-Bologna.
30 mins?? Bologna-Florence
1hr 30 mins Florence-Rome

Basically looking at about a 7 hour trip from Paris-Rome. Its currently about 15 hours Paris-Rome. Very doable and much improved. Don't know how many business people would choose it though over air travel which would be about 1/2 that time - still worthwhile though for all the in between points.

by Thomas I

drewh wrote:I stand corrected on the name. But do note that this is not part of the EuroStar Chunnel trains. There is no interconnection as of yet, though the above link hinted at joint French/Italian trains to Lyons.

Perhaps one day a thru train from London to Rome??

Its 2 hrs 35 mins London-Paris.
2 hrs Paris-Lyon.
2 hours maybe?? Lyon-Milano.
1 hr Milano-Bologna.
30 mins?? Bologna-Florence
1hr 30 mins Florence-Rome

Basically looking at about a 7 hour trip from Paris-Rome. Its currently about 15 hours Paris-Rome. Very doable and much improved. Don't know how many business people would choose it though over air travel which would be about 1/2 that time - still worthwhile though for all the in between points.
Wait until the Torino - Lyon transalpin HSR-Line is finished and the Florence-Rome HSR-Line will be rebuilt for 300km/h.