• Track Work on Montauk Branch from Babylon to Sayville

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by badneighbor

To any fans of MOW equipment, signal upgrades, track rehab, tie replacement and strengthening in progress on Montauk Branch. Crews were in Brightwaters today. New schedules are in effect, along with less trains, and busses pinch-hitting.

by RPM2Night

I took the train out to Montauk and back on sunday. The train I took got there at 3PM, and the one leaving left at 3:37PM. On the way out I just saw a few MOW units, and apparently while we were out in Montauk more arrived, as well as an LIRR balast train with two MP15s and a string of balast cars. I wish I had known in advance, I would have liked to have gotten a pic of the balast train.

by emfinite

For anyone who is wondering, the work trains are typically laid up in Hicksville or on the Central Branch on the Wellwood DEF. They are laid up occasionally on the Hendrickson siding in Babylon too. If I see anything, I will post it for you guys.

Joe

by badneighbor

last few nites, MOW units are on Bay Shore Team Siding, by Third Avenue

by Legio X

What if NYA has cars for a customer to spot on the Bay Shore team track, and the LIRR is using it to lay up MoW equipment?

by Fla East Coast Chris

HI,
Bayshore team does not get served by NYA. Saville gets the occasional centerbeam flat on the tail track adjacent to the DEF.
Today the(ZZOOOOOOMMMM locomotive)165 and 160 were in Patchogue with balast hoppers. There was a nice conductor on the work train and it was Pork Chop!!!! Havn't talked to him in awhile!!! Great to see him today. Anyways they left PD to return to Sayville.
Chris's low carb rail reports

by badneighbor

why should there be any freight service in Bay Shore... what with a fence company literally across the street from the siding, and all the wonderful trucks tying up Third Avenue all day delivering fences

by John 61

Up here on the Port Jeff Branch engs, 161/163 went east lite and then returned later with 10 empty CANAC flats that have been stored in the yard out there since back in February. There still might be more flats stored out in Port Jeff. Here's a shot of them returning and waiting on #652 to pass them at Post 1, Smithtown

by alcoc420

John,

That is really quite a shot! MP's, DM, PRR signal bridge, etc.

Aren't there 3 gonds of steel in St. James?

by Legio X

That's what we want to see on here!

by de402

nice shot.. since the LIRR doesn't own a "working" tamper/track maintainence vehicle, i give that nice curve a few more months..