Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RPM2Night

I just have to wonder, in the past few weeks with the gas prices about $1 more than they were 3 or 4 weeks ago, have people been taking the train more as opposed to driving? If so, has it been a big increase in the number of people commuting?

by Long Island 7285

Well if you (adult making the fortune) to live on LI i guess pertol prices done mean a thing, but if your the average person that lives on LI and cannon use the LIRR or LIB to get to work school or leisure, you should be complaining, and thoes complaints should rasie all hell over the rich. its us the less welthy that are the back bone to the economy no so much the rich.

by Clemuel

Okay, Long Island---

I read your post four times and have to guess what you are saying. Give us a little help here. Maybe you can dictate and have someone else type it????

We want to hear you and reply, but there's a breakdown here.

I think you're hinting at some kind of class warfare here, that the middle class should complain because the rich have more money or something like that? Complain to who, you? Me? Huh??

If you feel that those wage earners are the backbone of the economy and should pay less, let them contribute to society by employing people, building businesses, etc, instead of just consuming stuff and they too will get huge tax breaks.

Are you imbibing in the drink, or maybe typing with your pinky toe??

Clem

by badneighbor

most of those you consider rich are just broke at a higher level

by Long Island 7285

in other words rich = has money,

money TALKS and bullshit WALKS!

if you want better understanding PM me and i can discribe. but it has nothing to do with money, other then the rich dont give a crap as its just a nother peice of toilet paper to them. but for thoes of us that are in fact scrambling for money to aford gas its not easy. i remember wher we the majority of the people (middle class) all complained about $1.50 a gallon a few years ago as obserd, and now look. its totoally out of hand.

Maby the federal gove should look into making fuel oil one even price at $2.00 p/g regular nation wide period..

but then that leads to issues of communisum and does the govt have right to do that, presumably not. but what is a federal crime is called price gougeing witch was clearly done by many stations the hour katrina struck.
simplicate..
ketrina strikes, 1hr later we jump form the 2.60p/g -nearly 4.00 in some areas in less then 1 hr.
now is this clearly a crime. remember none of these stations have received "post katrina petrol" yet. in other words its clearly a crime and it makes persons with "extra" money i.e. the rich, able to aford it, while the persons makeing average incom gets deficated on again.

DISCLAIMER, PM me for any ?'s you may have.

NOW BACK ON TRACK!!

by Brock

Maybe when you gredeuate high school you'll learn that the "federal gove" doesn't sell gasoline so the "federal gove" can't tell anyone what to charge for it.

by One of One-Sixty

Brock wrote:Maybe when you gredeuate high school you'll learn that the "federal gove" doesn't sell gasoline so the "federal gove" can't tell anyone what to charge for it.
Umm actually the Fed gov is in the back pocket of some of the bigger oil companies, one of the reason gas is so high is the limited amount of refineries there is in the US, in fact the US Gov is paying oil companies through grants money to open new plants, but yet they still have not. There was a study right before Katrina hit that showed that just from 5 yrs ago, there is 40% more refineries, and almost 75% more refineries in the early 80's than there is today.

The oil companies excuse is there is not enough demand for gas to open refineries. Go figure right. :wink:

How about them spelling lessons.

Long Island 7285: Despite gas prices being in the $3.00 range, which it has been before with the gas shortage in the 80's. Commuters who drive believe it or not still have it better off than the railroads.

Also If a LIRR commuter can save up and buy a weekly or monthly pass it is considerable alot less than filing up at $45 a pop every week or bi weekly depending on your car.

Where as the RR at most gets only 2 mpg compared to the driver who gets roughly 20-30 mpg.

Clem: What is the MTA rules for the DM fleet, do they actually switch over to electric once in thrid rail terroritory or go dual mode or only when going to Penn Station is electric is to be used?

by RPM2Night

You've gotta figure though, say you take the train with 300 commuters out of service that gets 2MPG and put each of those commuters in an idividual car, that's much more congestion on the parkways, and 300 cars each burning 2 or 3 gallons (with the stop and go, and idling in dead stopped traffic) of gas to get each of them to work. That's 600-900 gallons of gas in a commute using cars instead of say 200 gallons tops.

I know that if we relied more on public transportation that we'd still require oil and gas, but we'd be using a lot less.

by Clemuel

One --

Because of all the problems with using the DM's in electric mode, they operate from diesel power virtually everywhere but in the vicinity of the East River Tunnels and New York.

Maybe an engineer can better tell you what the actual practices they follow are these days...

Clem