• MSTS questions re Farmingdale

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by alcoc420

Prior to electrification, heading west from Wyandanch, did the single track become the north track or south track at Farmingdale? The early 1990s track diagrams show a "Y" with neither track looking like a main.

The USGS map on the Delorme CD shows double track from Divide to Wellwood Rd. The early 1990s track diagram shows a section of single track between Rt 110 and New Highway. Is the USGS map correct?

Also, the USGS map shows a really strange arrangement of sidings and spurs at the west end of the Farmingdale industrial tracks. Anyone know where I can see a good track diagram of the area from the 1960s.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.

by lirrmike

Now I could be wrong, but I believe none of the track base was changed for the electrification. I remember the tracks being that way all the time. I've seen trains run around others at Farmingdale during either rush hour. That's why the single track going west might be set for the west ststion track, but can change to the eastbound.
I believe Dave Keller has track diagrams for the area, check his site.

Mike

by alcoc420

Thanks, Mike. I looked at a head end video. I think it was taken during electrification, ca 1986. Indeed, the double track east by New Highway was not the same double track as the one west of rt.110. Also, the single track was connected to the double tracks sort of in the center, yet it was approaching the tracks after a reverse curve, pointing west north west. Not the simplest design to replicate in msts.