• Doors that don't lock on Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:02 pm Of course there are signs that read "riding between cars prohibited" and "do not stand in the vestibule".

Makes sense, but on crush load NJT trains, often riders end up doing such.
Bingo. Tell me where to stand when there are 200 people aboard a Friday evening South Shore car (x8 cars!) in the summer time, but it's probably going to be the vestibule. Also I've found the vestibule to be a good place to have phone calls so as not to disturb the rest of the car.
  by JimBoylan

The experience in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania before the virus was similar.
I can remember commuter trains outbound in the evening rush hour that were stuffed full at high level platform stations (Suburban Station and 30th St.) at the start of their trips. But the next stop, North Philadelphia, had low platforms. The 1st few men standing next to the door would have to jump off util there was room to raise the traps!
  by MACTRAXX

Tadman wrote:Image

If you look closely, Via has horizontal bars that fold up to block passengers from approaching doors and leaning out. I don't see why this is so hard to do as opposed to a central door locking system.
TD - I remember the round "Drop Bar" in this photo from commuter trains such as NJT's Comet fleet...
In the VIA picture this bar is on a hinge that allows it to swivel to either block off the passageway between cars
or close off the vestibule to allow it to be used for luggage and/or other cargo storage - not so much to prevent
passengers from opening the dutch door while riding...NJT uses this bar to show where "closed" cars on their
trains are located as passengers walk between cars to find seating (best example) aboard trains...

JB: You are referring to a Chestnut Hill West-bound train I presume?
Remember that North Philadelphia has high-level platforms for Trenton-bound SEPTA (and Amtrak) trains...
The CHW Line platforms at PHN are low-level and on a curve for those unaware...MACTRAXX