Railroad Forums 

• Railroads and Unclaimed Money

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1630145  by edbear

My local newspaper had the Unclaimed Money supplement last week, so I looked. No, you'll never find me there. When I worked for Amtrak I found a few and Amtrak got the money it was due. I looked today and perhaps it is because so many financial transactions are being done through Internet applications, several railroads have lots of money due them that is sitting in state treasuriers. I suspect a lot of these are for one time items or locations abandoned. Examples are dumpster bills, trailer rentals, probably at construction or clean up sites, utility deposits, probably from discontinued locations, tax bills, reimbursements through courts, probably from theft or vandalism prosecutions. The count this morning was CSX 288 items, BNSF 557, UP over 1,000. Maybe the AI that these roads use can only look at today; if a location was abandoned or closed a few years back, maybe the AI does not recognize it. Surprisingly NS very few. Maybe they use a different program.