Railroad Forums 

• Oppenheimer

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1626794  by Gilbert B Norman

Guess what; I did something this past Tuesday I had not done in nineteen years.

I went to a movie in a theatre. I must say with $16 tickets (think the last time was $.75 (cents), IMAX, "Loge" seating throughout, alcoholic beverages, it's indeed a different experience than it was during '04.

So now to Oppenheimer; I think the movie was simply too long at three hours. It really was two stories, first developing the Gadget, and then the postwar persecution Dr. Oppenheimer had to go through. What a way to treat a man who, while incurring losses of 100K enemy lives, saved some 1M lives - including 300K American. It was sort of like "The Caine Mutiny" which is frequently divided between the "mutiny" (if it in fact was such) at sea, and the subsequent Court Martial.

Now to address the various interior railcar scenes within the movie.

There were several that simply were stage sets. One of an overseas passenger Compartment and another of the interior of a "heavyweight" Coach. Both simply screamed "fake".

However, there were several that indeed were authentic. Only problem, they were shot in lightweight "postwar" equipment. While there was some "prewar" lightweight, there was not all that much of such available during The War, and most rode about in non-air-conditioned cars (no wonder my Father swore off trains at War's end).

So might anyone else who has seen the flick identify the cars in which "Gen Groves" (Matt Damon) and "Oppy"(Cillian Murphy) were portrayed to be riding about?

I guess the station for Los Alamos was Lamy on the AT&SF. Travel to Princeton, Wash, Chicago, LA, and Berkley are all scripted into the movie. Travel to the first four all involved direct routings, but Berkley was "problematic". A passenger could then go to Denver and change, but going to Albuquerque and changing was a problem. The California Limited only served Belen (the SF Chief was a Postwar creation). Suffice to say, the movie's script writers were "uh, not too worried" about that.

Finally, none of such are mentioned by IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15398776/goofs/