• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

Originally they were gonna bring up sand for Access to the Regions Core, but Chris Christie killed that off. Maybe the people behind Gateway talked to Clayton after the fact?

From what I’ve heard, two other customers were interested in getting sand from Clayton by rail as well, but plans never fell through. One customer was near Scranton. I think the other was a concrete plant in Kenvil.
  by Bracdude181

Conrail crew putting in the concrete foundations for the new crossings at Squankum Road.

North through Farmingdale 11:25 AM
  by Bracdude181

Okerson RoadImage
Adelphia Road looking towards FarmingdaleImage
Adelphia Road looking towards FarmingdaleImage
Lastly here’s the concrete footings they put in at Squankum. What really has me scratching my head is why Conrail put these in and not C&D or one of the contractors they currently have on site…
  by Bracdude181

Actually, you might be right there.

I would assume they would set it up like this so that the lights don’t trip while trains are working Prestone. Same with James Street being so close to Woodhaven.
  by CR7876

CharlieL wrote:Notice how close to the road the insulated joint bars are at Okerson. Island type signal control?
All crossings have an Island Circuit.
  by Bracdude181

On the FIT or the Southern? Victory Road isn’t island control yet.
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by CharlieL

CR7876 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:28 am
CharlieL wrote:Notice how close to the road the insulated joint bars are at Okerson. Island type signal control?
All crossings have an Island Circuit.
In this case more like an islet, at least on the west side.
  by pdtrains

FWIW....
Its not unusual to have 2 insulated joints on approach to a highway grade crossing..... One for normal train moves at the usualu speed limit. If this is activated, and stays active for more than a specified amount of time, (like if the train pulls up and stops to switch or another reason), the the curciut cuts out.

Then if the train move toward the crossing again, thers another closer circuit, to activate the croissing protecting again as the thrain approaches at slow speed.

IDK what system C&D is using for crossing protection....but ive seen this elsewhere.....

On the WASS, there are some places where the C&D has put in metal induction devices to activate highway signals....works like traffic light tripping devices for cars at intersections