• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by JohnFromJersey

IIRC the last time any freight occurred on the Coastline south of Red Bank was the late 90's/early 2000's. There was Builders' General in Little Silver, which still has the switch there + was the last customer on the Coastline south of Red Bank.

The other last customers were the Asbury Park Press somewhere in Bradley Beach (there's a part of Memorial Drive there that the pavement is arranged in such a way that it covers their old siding tracks), a Lumber Yard in Belmar (which until recently, you could still see the rails in their facility), and maybe or two other businesses further south than that
  by R&DB

#1621536 by JohnFromJersey
Thu May 04, 2023 9:43 pm
I believe it was 2002-2003, The same time Conrail stropped service on the TRIT. All the Builders trraffic for Little Silver and Toms River has been redirected to Freehold since then.
  by RFRailFan

R&DB wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:32 pm
I believe it was 2002-2003, The same time Conrail stropped service on the TRIT. All the Builders trraffic for Little Silver and Toms River has been redirected to Freehold since then.
Good info and history....thanks all. I use to commute on NJT out of Little Silver back then and remember seeing the BG lumber cars on the siding, then one day, nothing ever again!
  by Bracdude181

Farmingdale at 12:05 PM apologies for the late minute report on them leaving Lakewood. Phone didn’t post when I hit the reply button.

Something is wrong with the Marl Road lights. They only come on 2 seconds before the train crosses the road.
  by GSC

For the Asbury Park Press, there was a private siding that ran from the Bradley Beach / Neptune freight yard, across Memorial Drive, to A. G. Rogers warehouse. The boxcars would be unloaded there and the rolls of newsprint were trucked to the Press plant on Rt 66 (which is no longer there)

The Memorial Drive crossing was considered an active crossing, with lights, and school buses and other passenger vehicles had to stop there. When the freight service stopped, the rails in the road crossing were paved over, the lights removed, street markings were painted over, and the switch from the yard tracks removed, to make it an "exempt" crossing.

The disconnected rails still exist from the road to the warehouse.

The Bradley / Neptune yard was once a busy place. Now it's just a two-track yard where MOW track machines are sometimes stored, and the place where old NJT coaches were dismantled for scrapping.
  by RFRailFan

GSC wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:18 am For the Asbury Park Press, there was a private siding that ran from the Bradley Beach / Neptune freight yard, across Memorial Drive, to A. G. Rogers warehouse. The boxcars would be unloaded there and the rolls of newsprint were trucked to the Press plant on Rt 66 (which is no longer there)

The Memorial Drive crossing was considered an active crossing, with lights, and school buses and other passenger vehicles had to stop there. When the freight service stopped, the rails in the road crossing were paved over, the lights removed, street markings were painted over, and the switch from the yard tracks removed, to make it an "exempt" crossing.

The disconnected rails still exist from the road to the warehouse.

The Bradley / Neptune yard was once a busy place. Now it's just a two-track yard where MOW track machines are sometimes stored, and the place where old NJT coaches were dismantled for scrapping.
  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:05 pm NJT shut it down.
That's incorrect. NJT had nothing to do with Builders keeping their track maintained. There were two derailments on their property from bad gauge. CR then offered them the option to ship to Freehold. NJT wasn't part of any of their troubles.
  by AceMacSD

R&DB wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:32 pm
Builders requested the redirection to Freehold. It's related to a lower demand for materials at their TR location.
  by CharlieL

There was a one-car siding in of all places, Avon for Standard Supply company. Last time I saw a car on it was early - mid eighties.
  by Bracdude181

I doubt they’ll use trains if they stick around. They seem more than happy with ferrying containers to and from the factory by truck.

Farmingdale to Freehold progress as of this afternoon.
Ties have been laid up until where the red vehicle on the left is sitting. A friend mentioned the recent rainstorms caused some flooding here…