Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by ConstanceR46

...aren't the subway's next-generation work locomotives battery-equipped though?
  by freightguy

They(FDNY) also wanted nothing to with 5000 people being in the basement of GCT during rush hour if a terrorist attack occurred. We all know who controls the MTA board though. Follow the money. The 1500's would be fine rebuilt. Metro-North has 8 locomotives doing rescues on a daily basis from 1960's.
  by workextra

Can someone provide data from FDNY showing that prohibition or concerns of a proven battery locomotive?

Has there been any issues?
  by Kelly&Kelly

In an emergency, a diesel would be used.
  by ConstanceR46

Any update to this, 8 months in?
  by geico

Nope.....
  by workextra

There is.
But it won’t be broadcasted here first. Be patient. The MTA is a government entity. Nothing happens fast.
  by Kelly&Kelly

FDNY wants no part of an electric battery locomotive. They view it as a fire and explosion source. We'll watch who wins this debate or if it loses momentum and we live with the present solution...
  by ConstanceR46

Considering the batteries attached to the newest MTA work train contract and the new chargers i doubt that's true
  by Jeff Smith

LIRR adding battery-powered 'rescue engine' for Grand Central Madison tunnels

“This engine will have the ability to go in and rescue a disabled train that we can’t get out of the tunnel, and not have to operate on third-rail power nor on diesel power. So it’s really a great technology,” Free said. “Now, I hope we’ll never have to use this engine.”

In January 2023 — days before the opening of Grand Central Madison — Newsday reported that the LIRR did not have the equipment it would need to tow a disabled train out of the newly-bored tunnels in the event of a power outage.
  by ConstanceR46

Apologies; guess the news shocked me too much to double-check the link!
  by Head-end View

So they're saying an all battery powered locomotive is going to pull a 12-car MU train from Grand Central, up the steep tunnel grades into Harold ? Hard to believe but with today's battery powered equipment I guess it might be possible.
  by Kelly&Kelly

They say lots of things...