• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CharlieL

I do remember Farmingdale from the 50s, but was not real interested in railroads at the time. I liked the way the Central was single-tracked at the station on that map.
  by cx4storm

FrontFrank wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:45 am I saw the mention of Ft Monmouth and had to chime in. You are correct there was a factory in the Farmindale industrial park that made radio receivers. I don't remember the name of the business but them and another company on 79 by Matawan were suppliers and we received many shipments from them. The parts would then be tested for Qa at Monmouth before further distribution.
The place in Farmingdale was named Frequency Engineering Laboratories.
  by GSC

Frequency Engineering moved out of Farmingdale to the Lily-Tulip building in Holmdel, around 1990 IIRC. A friend's father worked as a machinist for Frequency in F'dale and they had a shooting range in the back, one of the few places you could shoot, with permission of course. The F&JA ran alongside Frequency but I don't know if they had a siding. There was a coal trestle nearby, the last thing that was used east of the diamond in F'dale.

Tedruth Plastics, later Synergistics, across from Collingwood, had three tracks of six covered hoppers next to the building. I'm not sure if those cars moved or were used for storage while they were there. One day they were gone.

There was once a team track / siding from the Tedruth switch to Asbury Road. (The switch and spur tracks are still there but disconnected) It was single track across the road, and then had another team track / siding west (south) of there. Pine Creek RR took delivery of the Quincy & Torch Lake 2-8-0 and the snowplow on that siding. Another tack came off the main to McDowell's asphalt plant on Asbury Road. One track encircled the "tar cookers" (not sure what they were called) that are still there today.

More memories of what used to be.
  by Bracdude181

Northbound at DCS LAKEWOOD 1:24 PM

Ties were installed between 7th and 5th street in town but nowhere else from what I can see.
  by Bracdude181

Stopped at Oak Glen road 1:52 PM.

Might be waiting for Tracks Unlimited to clear the main…
  by JohnFromJersey

GSC wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:48 am Frequency Engineering moved out of Farmingdale to the Lily-Tulip building in Holmdel, around 1990 IIRC. A friend's father worked as a machinist for Frequency in F'dale and they had a shooting range in the back, one of the few places you could shoot, with permission of course. The F&JA ran alongside Frequency but I don't know if they had a siding. There was a coal trestle nearby, the last thing that was used east of the diamond in F'dale.

Tedruth Plastics, later Synergistics, across from Collingwood, had three tracks of six covered hoppers next to the building. I'm not sure if those cars moved or were used for storage while they were there. One day they were gone.

There was once a team track / siding from the Tedruth switch to Asbury Road. (The switch and spur tracks are still there but disconnected) It was single track across the road, and then had another team track / siding west (south) of there. Pine Creek RR took delivery of the Quincy & Torch Lake 2-8-0 and the snowplow on that siding. Another tack came off the main to McDowell's asphalt plant on Asbury Road. One track encircled the "tar cookers" (not sure what they were called) that are still there today.

More memories of what used to be.
Sounds like the Southern was a busy line back then

When did all these businesses dry up/move elsewhere? I know the asphalt plant has been OOS for decades now; I remember when they had two of those large tower things, but they tore one down. The other is barely still standing. My friends and I used to remark that the "tar cooker" towers looked like the map "Rust" from the Call of Duty video game, Modern Warfare 2
  by Bracdude181

The die off was from the 1980s until about 2012. Woodhaven started getting more after that which helped but not by much.

RB-1 left Oak Glen rd at 2:05 PM
  by Bracdude181

After Hurricane Sandy, Woodhaven began to get much larger shipments. That and most of the customers were gone by that point.

Train will be in Farmingdale in about 5-10 minutes