Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by photobug56

Tough question. Sure, we like the museums, gardens, etc. But the government corruption, the extremely painful commute, the super high utility costs, crumbling roads, are awful. Our problem (besides the things we do like) - we need access to certain types of medical care that you just don't find in 'cheap' states. But our kids can't afford to have their own places, and it's getting harder and harder for us.
  by MattAmity90

photobug56 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:00 pm Worn out M3's, Painful M9's, and diesel junk. Nice photo from a pitifully bad commuter railroad.
My picture is a M3 on Track 1, M7 car #7096 (delivered 2002-2003) on Track 2, and a DC/DM30 with C3 cars on Track 3.

I can't read the car or engine numbers because the diesel consist was one engine and five passenger cars, the M3 was only 8 cars, and the M7 was 10-12. I've actually got another gem; this one is a M3 about to zoom past me at MAS at Wyandanch as it blitzes through Straight Path in 2010. I took it using a disposable camera and using skills came out without blur. Horn was blaring, snapped the photo, and did a tuck and roll away even though I was behind the yellow line.
30671_1266929681626_7137272_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by photobug56

As a train buff I love train photos including lirr! Just not their management.
  by mirrodie

Just catching up on pics. Was #*93 at Railfest? Any footage?
  by Head-end View

Workextra, much of what you say is regrettably true, but just for the record, Hicksville and Ronkonkoma are unincorporated areas that will probably not be rebranding as anything but may well expand and effectively become city-like areas. :(
  by newkirk

ex LIRR #2786 at Hoboken Terminal (Sept. 1996)
  by photobug56

Hmm - no signs of rust or cheap house paint. My earliest memories of LIRR rust bucket trains were of such about 10 years before I started commuting.
  by newkirk

LIRR Alco C-420 in Metro North Work Service.
Don't know exactly where i took this photo, any ideas ? (August 1983)

In Harmon Yard at Croton Harmon by side lined NHRR "Washboards". (August 1983)
  by krispy

Nice shots! First one would be somewhere in MN electrified territory, I'd guess Harlem Line. Dig out Google maps and look for a spot close to a road with that view and a small waterway behind it. Maybe along Rt. 22? One thing to consider, that spot maybe way overgrown since '83. I've been stomping around that area since around then seeking fish and I'm amazed at how much has changed since then.
  by expbusop

Looks like somewhere between Purdys and GoldensBridge, Aug 1983 would be during electrification of upper Harlem.
Third rail is brand new.
  by expbusop

Looks like shot was take from shoulder of I 684
  by newkirk

Thnaks to all who replied about the C-420's on MNRR.
And now the other side of the coin. New MNRR M3As testing on the LIRR
At Shea Stadium on Sept of 1983

At the Shea Stadium station. (Sept 1983)

Testing on the Babylon branch by Sunrise Hwy.. (May 1984)

Photographed at what should be the no longer existent Metropolitan Ave station of the (J) Jamaica Line. (April 1985)
I was photographing the line when the test train popped up and caught me by surprise.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by RGlueck

I find it incredulous that these "new" M1 cars, much heralded, could possible be gone. I hope you caught some MP54, MP70, and MP72's that day.
  by newkirk

I find it incredulous that these "new" M1 cars, much heralded, could possible be gone. I hope you caught some MP54, MP70, and MP72's that day.
Those were Metro North M-3As I photographed, not M-1s.
The photos are from 1983-85.
  by krispy

Excellent pics, thanks for posting! Great shot in the first one of the old Corona Yard lead curving off into the salt marsh, I was surprised to see it well-maintained at that time and weed free. Also great shot of the old subway station, you can see the new routing of the line off to the side. Lucky you were able to snag the MU's while you there!