• COVID-19 Effects on SEPTA

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by NotYou

SEPTA doesn't do themselves any favors w/ the way they handle SEPTA keys on the regional rail. Riders have to swipe at the onboarding station, on the train, and at the departure station: it's two more steps than the prior system. Isn't a big part of swiping at both stations to free up the conductors from checking every ticket / pass?
  by ryan92084

Conductors checking has nothing to do with processing the trip correctly unless it is an intermediate trip. Checking everyone was/is intended to be a courtesy while people were/are learning the system. I would assume at some point they'll stop being so forceful about it.
  by rcthompson04

ryan92084 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:15 am Conductors checking has nothing to do with processing the trip correctly unless it is an intermediate trip. Checking everyone was/is intended to be a courtesy while people were/are learning the system. I would assume at some point they'll stop being so forceful about it.
I have started seeing some curtailing of the courtesy tapping over the last month or two.

Biggest issue from a rider perspective is the lack of conductors at doors.
  by NotYou

Glad to hear they are cutting back on the "courtesy" tapping. Cutting back on that doesn't produce more conductors to open doors and panels for low-level stations, but gives the already shortage of conductors one less thing to worry about and opportunity to focus more on customer service.

SEPTA not investing in more in high-level stations strikes me as classic SEPTA: keep a large work force and invest less in capital improvements such as high-level stations. Maybe the current situation will be a motivation to move $$$$ to the capital budget for things such as upgrading stations to high-level. As they say in the tech world: it is cheaper to throw more hardware at the problem than hire more people.
  by AlexC

This topic has drifted away from COVID altogether.. please create another thread if you'd like or use the existing Key thread.

septa-npt-card-will-be-quot-septa-key-q ... 3-885.html