Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

MattAmity90 wrote:Ok, I'm sorry about the whole ping-pong ball effect... etc.
Matt no need to apologize, etc. It's a real super exchange of info that occurred in this thread. If folks wanted to continue along those lines, I just thought a new thread would be an idea if the interest warranted it! Won't be the first time it occurred, just like people in a room talking about a topic, I have done this myself a bunch of times over the years I'm certain.

Would a LIRR map having the current/past Tower locations labeled be of interest?
  by MattAmity90

Anything that you want about your topic, you give me a map, I'll give you answers. I feel better now, and at least I know many people have done that before. I just thought LB was mad. But we move on, and at least I have my pictures.

Now, I find it very interesting that Lead Interlocking is the only interlocking with it's tower on a drawbridge on the Long Beach Branch, not sure if it's occupied.
  by LB

MattAmity90 wrote:Anything that you want about your topic, you give me a map, I'll give you answers. I feel better now, and at least I know many people have done that before. I just thought LB was mad. But we move on, and at least I have my pictures.

Now, I find it very interesting that Lead Interlocking is the only interlocking with it's tower on a drawbridge on the Long Beach Branch, not sure if it's occupied.
Matt,
Happy to answer your questions. Sometimes the moderators will step in if discussions stray too far from the original topic. As far as interlockings go as they relate to Grade Crossing Eliminations, Babylon and Hicksville kept their ground level towers in operation until the new tracks/towers were cut in. At Floral Park, the Hempstead Branch switch was moved to west of Bellrose, Park Tower was demolishished and Queens Tower became responsible for Hempstead Branch traffic switching off the Main Line while the shoofly tracks were in service.
  by MattAmity90

LB wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:Anything that you want about your topic, you give me a map, I'll give you answers. I feel better now, and at least I know many people have done that before. I just thought LB was mad. But we move on, and at least I have my pictures.

Matt,
Happy to answer your questions. Sometimes the moderators will step in if discussions stray too far from the original topic. As far as interlockings go as they relate to Grade Crossing Eliminations, Babylon and Hicksville kept their ground level towers in operation until the new tracks/towers were cut in. At Floral Park, the Hempstead Branch switch was moved to west of Bellrose, Park Tower was demolishished and Queens Tower became responsible for Hempstead Branch traffic switching off the Main Line while the shoofly tracks were in service.
Thanks man, you confirmed that my vision was actually true, I'm so happy. So now it's behind us, we will throw our facts when a new topic pops up. I'm really glad that you think my station is cool, and that when you were younger you did the same things I did as a kid.
  by LIPDProductionsInc

nyandw wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:12 am Would a LIRR map having the current/past Tower locations labeled be of interest?
I would be interested in having a map of the current interlockings, if that's possible
  by Kelly&Kelly

Lead's manned 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and has been located in the bridge tender's shanty on both the old and existing bridge since 1931. It replaced WL Tower, a conventional stucco building which was on the south side in Island Park.
  by twropr

What are the locations of Nassau 1, 2 and 3? Is one of these crossovers at Mineola?
Wonder why they kept the Nassau name rather than a whole new base name?
Andy
  by Head-end View

Nassau-1 is the new set of crossovers just east of Merillon Ave. Station. You can see the signals from the east end of the station platforms.

Nassau-2 is just east of Mineola Station where the Oyster Bay Branch splits from Main-Line Track-3, the north track.

Nassau-3 is another new set of crossovers east of Nassau-2. You can just about see the signals in the distance from the Mineola Station platforms.
  by ExCon90

Anybody know why Nassau-1 is so far west? Seems like it ought to be as close as possible to the west end of the Mineola platforms; as it is, it looks like an eastbound OB on Track 1 or 2 is stuck just east of Merrillon Ave. until a westbound from anywhere on Track 3 is by Nassau-1.
  by Head-end View

Yeah, that's how it seems to be shaping up. Actually the new Nass-1 is further east than the previous one that was between New Hyde Park and Merillon Ave. But the one before that was just west of the Mineola platforms. That's probably over twenty years ago.
  by workextra

Guys,
Remember they were kind of restricted to the location of the current. Nassau 1.
They need to incorporate the length of the new 60 mph crossovers.
In addition to the alignment change due to the 1990s herricks road crossing elimination.
Had that been done as part of the current program the interlocking could have been right next to mineola.
  by Head-end View

Workextra, would they have wanted high-speed crossovers on the grade west of Mineola leading onto the Herricks Rd. overpass? It was probably more feasible to put it where they did on a flat, straight stretch of railroad.
  by twropr

Anyone know the approximate MP locations of Nassua 1, 2 and 3?
Thanks
Andy
  by gamer4616

Relating to the 3rd track project, here are the milepost locations for the Mainline Branch

Queens Interlocking (Remotely controlled by JCC) 13.3 (Former Queens Tower)
Elmont 13.7
Bellerose 14.3
Floral Park 14.9
Park 1 Interlocking (Remotely controlled by JCC) 15.0
New Hyde Park 16.2
Merillon Ave 17.3
Nassau 1 Interlocking (Remotely controlled by JCC) 17.4
Mineola 18.5
Nassau 2 Interlocking (Remotely controlled by JCC) 18.6
Nassau 3 Interlocking (Remotely controlled by JCC) 19.8
Carle Place 20.4
Westbury 21.4
Hicksville 24.8
Divide Interlocking (Remotely controlled by JCC) 24.9 (Fomer Divide Tower)
  by bellstbarn

Thanks for the reopening of this thread with much information presented in August, 2022.