• Question about PRR/LIRR K-4 tenders and stokers

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RRChef

I was looking at photos of Pennsy K-4s on Long Island and couldn't figure something out. The tenders appear to be either 90P70 or 110P70. However, I seem to recall hearing that the K-4s that came to LI were stoker equipped. According to Pennsy records stoker equipped K-4s had 130P75 tenders. Were the tenders changed when they came to LI or am I not identifying them correctly?

by Paul

Mantone: Remember this from the past?
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... ight=tende

Anyway, this should answer your question.

by Richard Glueck

The K4's had 110P70 tenders, with stokers. The G5 version on LIRR was a hand fired version, due to limited grate space and less of an appetite for coal. LIRR saved a number of original tenders and they rotated throughout the fleet on different services. Note Art Huneke's photos of PRR 5741 in Morris Park. She went out on a work train with a smaller tender. Switching tenders was the rule, and thus, both preserved LIRR G5's have tenders other than their own, a lucky fact for us.

by Long Island 7285

Rich, you say thoes 35/9's tenders are not there origionals, or they over the road tenders or short haul tenders?

by Richard Glueck

The G5's were delivered with the 110P72 tenders; at least teh last batches. The earliest had the low side tenders, which were swapped out.
Now- There are several of the low side tenders in existence. One is on the B6sa, stored near the Wilmington and Western, another is on the 5741. There may be others in existence, but I don't know where. The LIRR G5 tenders are the 110P72's that the K4's had as well (sans stoker). THey just didn't come off the G5's that were preserved.