Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

I started a new project: Arrival/Departure Train Board Signs: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Train% ... 0signs.htm

Examples: Atlantic Terminal - NY Islander Special 4/29/2022 Photo/Archive: Dan Lehenbauer

The color coding: Green-empty
Yellow- about half full
Red (looks orange to me!)- full, maybe 75% ?
What is the legend to the colors; percent in use?

I was trying to document changes, clarify the current in use scheme, the older "flip board" usage, etc.

Anyone with photos, insight, history to document this would be great. Thank you.
Best,
Steve
  by krispy

It's part of the Train time applications, to indicate approximate capacity. I wish I could find you the standards but it revolves around seated load or seat availability so it can vary by equipment. So, while I wouldn't say Green is empty, but you have a good chance at getting a 3 seater to yourself, yellow is you're sitting next to someone and red is fully seated load or more (SRO). This one of the things the cameras gives the railroad, as the apps (radar or Train time) will have an exact (if it works and what's visible) count in each car. The diesels are color-coded, while the M-7 and 9's will give you a exact number. Not sure if it would work on the M-3s.

I'm sure there's something online with more details (bid/contract proposal, etc), or email them and you may get the answer you want from the horse's mouth itself.
  by workextra

Orange is a seated load with some standees.
Red is don’t even thing about getting in in this car or on this train.
The car or train is fully subscribed and there it no room for more passengers.

You’ll see a train load in Penn on 16 with the first 4 cars RED and the rest GREEN.
However the sheep will continue to pile into the RED cars, then have the audacity to complain the train was crowded.

YELLOW is in the 25-50% full car range.
ORANGE is in the 50-75%
RED is packed 75-100% DO NOT GET ON HERE :-D
these are very conservative estimates I’m sure that someone here got exact Figures.

I believe they used the cameras to identify the conditions on the diesel equipment.
  by MattAmity90

It's actually hard to believe, but since I moved, I upgraded to an iPhone. Of course, one of the apps I installed was the LIRR Train Time app so that I don't get as homesick. The following are the colors used to indicate the capacity of each car, and I think the app colors correspond with the train board signs.

GREY means NO DATA.
GREEN means <35%
YELLOW means 35-50%
ORANGE means 50-85%
RED means 85-100% (FULL)
  by Kelly&Kelly

That data used to determine car loading be gleaned from the car's load levelers. They measured the weight and adjusted the propulsion system and braking to accommodate. Not sure if it still is determined this way.
  by BuddR32

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:08 pm That data used to determine car loading be gleaned from the car's load levelers. They measured the weight and adjusted the propulsion system and braking to accommodate. Not sure if it still is determined this way.
Yes, On the M7s. M9 uses the actual passenger counting system. Curious what they'll do when the M3s come back.