Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1598388  by RailsEast

LRS box on the head end, unsure if for Extech. Also, 2 young stowaways riding the last box car through Eatontown, something you don't see every day ( north of Lakewood).
 #1598398  by Matt Johnson

RailsEast wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:27 pm LRS box on the head end, unsure if for Extech. Also, 2 young stowaways riding the last box car through Eatontown, something you don't see every day ( north of Lakewood).
Wow, not a place I'd expect to see "hobos" but I guess these are just dumb kids. I'd think you could get in pretty big trouble for getting into Earle NWS territory that way.
 #1598410  by Bracdude181

SA38 will be bringing the train back tonight. They just finished the crew change, so they should get to work on Woodhaven shortly.
 #1598693  by FrontFrank

Good morning all.
On Friday morning my buddy and I went to Suburban Building Supply to get some materials. We saw a white driving on the railroad tracks. Not next to the tracks on them. It had little train wheels in the front and back and made a lot of scraping sound when it went by going Lakewood to Howell. I never seen anything like this before. Is this a regular thing for these trucks to drive on the railroad tracks. What if a train was coming? Or do they coordinate with the trains before they go driving on the tracks?
I gather that those train wheels are retractable so the truck can drive on the roadways as well. We had a small train and a machine that had retractable train wheels at Monmouth so I take it that truck operates in the same manner.
Interesting and very unexpected thing to see.
 #1598696  by Bracdude181

You just caught the weekly inspection required by the FRA. A very rare catch that never happens on the same day. I’ve only caught it once. This is how most railroads inspect tracks nowadays.

You may very well be the last one to catch Conrail doing the inspection since Delaware and Raritan River is taking the line over in a couple weeks.
 #1598738  by FrontFrank

Thank you cx4storm and bracdude181.
While we were at Suburban we asked if they get train loads of product. The guy there said that they do not get enough product to justify using train service. He further mentioned that the property is capable of getting rail service and that adds value to the property when it comes time to sell but based on the current clientele looking to purchase property in that area, the property will most likely end up becoming a day care or school.

By the way bracdude181 are you or were you part of the BRAC?