Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Head-end View

Building it north from Jamaica to LGA could and should include a station stop at Willets Point. That way the plan for Manhattan travelers would be the same as the previous plan; they would not have to take LIRR to/from Jamaica.
  by andrewjw

You can't accurately say a stop at Willets Point serves Manhattan travelers when it is slower than existing modes of transport like the Q70.
  by 452 Card

"Stop making sense, stop making sense!"
  by nyrmetros

Why isn't the JFK Airtrain just extended from Jamaica to LGA? Just have 1 system instead of 2 separate ones.
  by Head-end View

I agree; that would be the way to do it. But it would not solve the need for an easy ride to LGA from Manhattan. Though it would be great for Long Islanders going to/from LGA.
  by nyrmetros

Head-end View wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:02 pm Building it north from Jamaica to LGA could and should include a station stop at Willets Point. That way the plan for Manhattan travelers would be the same as the previous plan; they would not have to take LIRR to/from Jamaica.
This makes very good sense.
  by Jeff Smith

The Q70 is a shit show.
  by Patch Hog

nyrmetros wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:41 pm Why isn't the JFK Airtrain just extended from Jamaica to LGA? Just have 1 system instead of 2 separate ones.
Do that one day of you can find the money but get the Willets Point - LGA part built and open.
Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
  by Jeff Smith

nyrmetros wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:41 pm Why isn't the JFK Airtrain just extended from Jamaica to LGA? Just have 1 system instead of 2 separate ones.
I've thought about that too; just have it turn right at the Van Wyck. It would be useful for transfers JFK to LGA as well.

What they really need, though, is to convert the Airtrain to heavy rail and connect it directly to the LIRR, and just have direct service.
  by west point

Lived off 94th street late 1960. Cannot believe this debate is still going on today.
  by Head-end View

Well I guess if Robert Moses had been building mass transit instead of highways, the rail connections to La Guardia and JFK would have been built back then for sure. LOL