• AEM-7/ALP-44 status

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by NaugyRR

Before you or someone else starts a GoFundMe, you might consider some questions...

Where is the unit going to go once it's purchased? Are any museums interested in the piece? Is there someone with enough private property that's willing to take the unit in? Will it be somewhere secure and out of the elements?

How is it going to get there? How much is going to cost to get it there? Who is going to pay for the transportation costs?

How is it going to be supported once it's "saved"? Who's going to pay for the restoration and upkeep costs? The cost of materials to restore it and maintain it? The property taxes if on private land?

The bill to save the unit is going to multiply from the scrap value very, very quickly.

I understand the desire to save equipment, but there's more to it than just cheering that "SOMEONE SHOULD FUND THIS TO BE SAVED NOW!!!". I'm sure if it was feasible to save, an organization like the RRMPA or URHS would have made arrangements by now. But just blindly saving a unit without a game plan is how you end up with units rotting away in the middle of the woods somewhere.

I appreciate and respect the history of transit and railroading equipment, but the fact of the matter is that we can't build an Ark for all the trains we love that will be retired. At some point we need to acknowledge that and learn to appreciate the experiences we had with the equipment and keep the memory alive with books, videos, and models, and support the museums that do house and maintain equipment that did survive so that future generations can appreciate railroading the same way we do.
  by eolesen

Yeah, that common sense stuff doesn't seems to sink in.

$3K is the tip of the iceberg.

Museums need to raise about $100 per foot of length to save something inside when you figure track space and a building, and another $50K or more to move it if it's not rail worthy. That's IRMs standard because they own their land.

Thats $153K before a cent gets spent on a cosmetic restoration, much less operational.

All so a few foamers can take a selfie?...

I'm willing to bet most of the GoFundMe screamers don't even maintain a museum membership...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

by scratchyX1

NaugyRR wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:29 am Before you or someone else starts a GoFundMe, you might consider some questions...

Where is the unit going to go once it's purchased? Are any museums interested in the piece? Is there someone with enough private property that's willing to take the unit in? Will it be somewhere secure and out of the elements?

How is it going to get there? How much is going to cost to get it there? Who is going to pay for the transportation costs?

How is it going to be supported once it's "saved"? Who's going to pay for the restoration and upkeep costs? The cost of materials to restore it and maintain it? The property taxes if on private land?

The bill to save the unit is going to multiply from the scrap value very, very quickly.

I understand the desire to save equipment, but there's more to it than just cheering that "SOMEONE SHOULD FUND THIS TO BE SAVED NOW!!!". I'm sure if it was feasible to save, an organization like the RRMPA or URHS would have made arrangements by now. But just blindly saving a unit without a game plan is how you end up with units rotting away in the middle of the woods somewhere.

I appreciate and respect the history of transit and railroading equipment, but the fact of the matter is that we can't build an Ark for all the trains we love that will be retired. At some point we need to acknowledge that and learn to appreciate the experiences we had with the equipment and keep the memory alive with books, videos, and models, and support the museums that do house and maintain equipment that did survive so that future generations can appreciate railroading the same way we do.
Yup,
Otherwise, The gear may end up land locked and rusting away, like certain electric locomotives in new york, and ends up getting scrapped, anyway.
trains aren't pokemon, you can't catch em all.
  by mcgrath618

Allegedly the RRMPA is interested, but cannot accept it as SEPTA cannot GUARANTEE 100% that there are no PCBs in the unit. To be clear, I am sure that they would accept it regardless, considering it probably doesn't have any, but the State of PA will not let them. Apparently the way they are organized also does not allow them to purchase equipment, only accept donations.

It was stored serviceable, no? It also was equipped with PTC. I'd love to see a Historical Society get their hands on it and run a few charters around SEPTA one day, but alas, such a thing will likely never happen.
  by ConstanceR46

Maybe these have a future with the ones moved down to Mass?
  by Silverliner5

Do they still have the Silverliner II on the property cause that could be museum worthy than the III but if not then I guess a ALP 44 2308 can got but the rest can be scrapped since there's already an AEM-7 in a museum
  by MACTRAXX

NR - Your thought is what everyone interested in preserving any rail equipment should consider before
any move is made forward in a possible effort...

In this situation the one-of-a-kind ALP44 #2308 may have an edge over the 7 SEPTA AEM7s (#2301-2307)...
The single Silverliner Three car (#236 as I recall) should go to RM of PA or a PRR group (built 1967) being
the last of 20 of their type built by St. Louis Car Company (220-239 were the numbers) along with any of
the 1963 Silverliner Two cars (#9001 by the Reading Tech Society?) such as #201 and Pennsylvania #269
that may have been set aside instead of being scrapped back in 2012 after retirement...MACTRAXX
  by Pensyfan19

I understand and acknowledge all of your points, NR. I'm just mentioning the news here in case if someone on this website is interested in saving these engines at the last second.
  by eolesen

The possibility of PCB's or asbestos has doomed a lot of equipment that might have otherwise been preserved, and explains why there are far more diesels preserved from the mid-century than electric locomotives.

(We're lucky that examples of almost every Milwaukee Road electric made it to museums or city displays prior to the EPA's ban on PCB's took effect in 1978 or so. Other roads, not as lucky)
  by CNJGeep

mcgrath618 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:54 pm It also was equipped with PTC.
No it was not, the Budds and Louies were long gone by the time PTC installation started. As for being stored serviceable, it may have been immediately following retirement as the Overbrook shop switcher, but the 238 was barely legal for going out on the road by the time it moved to Frazer in 2019.
  by R36 Combine Coach

9001 was the Overbrook switcher well into 2013 until it was picked up by Reading Technical, the last active of 55
(38 PRR + 17 RDG).

As for 238, the Arrow Is are similar (they and the Silverliners are the only St. Louis cars of all stainless construction,
the center sill, sides, ends and roof all formed from stainless sheetmetal as a load carrying design, based on
Budd). Many Arrow Is were rebuilt and sold to Caltrans.
  by mcgrath618

CNJGeep wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:59 pm
mcgrath618 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:54 pm It also was equipped with PTC.
No it was not, the Budds and Louies were long gone by the time PTC installation started. As for being stored serviceable, it may have been immediately following retirement as the Overbrook shop switcher, but the 238 was barely legal for going out on the road by the time it moved to Frazer in 2019.
I am surprised to learn that they weren't. I thought PTC was put in most cabs shortly before their retirement, but I seem to have been mistaken.
  by rcthompson04

The ALP had PTC in the cab. It was part of the leased NJ Transit ghost fleet.
  by CNJGeep

AEMs and the ALP did (and do, I guess, since the ADUs are still in the cabs) have PTC

Budds & Louies did not.
  by liftedjeep

Not the greatest shots due to the interference of the overhead catenary; here is a pair of photos taken this morning (2/6) of the AEM-7/ALP-44 "deadline" at Septa's Overbrook Maintenance Facility. Six of the seven AEM-7's and the sole ALP-44 are stored just west of the 59th Street overpass. I believe the ALP-44 is the second unit in, behind #2302.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5698901

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5698898

Ben