Railroad Forums 

• Jim Vena no longer interested in CN CEO slot.

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1587514  by Shortline614

I don't know what thread to put this in, considering that the TCI-CN shenanigans don't have their own dedicated thread. So in its own thread it goes.

Jim Vena, who is an ex-CN vice president of operations and ex-UP chief operating officer, who TCI investment wants to replace J.J. Reust as CN CEO, says he is no longer interested in the job.

From Trains Magazine:
MONTREAL — Jim Vena, the former Canadian National chief operating officer who was touted as the railway’s next CEO, told CN Sunday night that he was no longer interested in the job.
https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... candidate/

Odd. Vena has been saying publicly for a few years that he desires a Class I CEO slot, and now the one chance he gets he backs away. I would also imagine this kills TCI's bid since a large part of their plan rested on getting Vena into the CEO slot.

Now J.J. Reust is retiring early next year and no successor has been announced. Part of me wonders if CN, to defeat TCI's bid, wants to put Vena in as CEO thereby eliminating the need for TCI's bid. Vena saying "he no longer wants to job" and backing away from TCI, only to suddenly want it again and be voted in by CN as CEO would make a lot of sense. To be fair, all of this is speculation and probably isn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised.