Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1582151  by Bracdude181

@cx4storm Is your radio thing detecting any movement? We are waiting on the train at Cross Street and they haven’t showed up yet despite going past Woodhaven...
 #1582154  by cx4storm

@Bracdude181

Since 19:10:10 (7:10:10 PM) packets have been indicating that the EOT is NOT in motion. I heard some comms on AAR Channel 50 (160.8600 NFM), about 15 or 20 mins. ago, and it sounded like they were at or near Woodhaven.
 #1582156  by Bracdude181

@cx4storm Thank you, I’m fairly sure they left the EOTD on the back.

Before I forget SA31 mentioned something to the driver of the Jitney about having to go pick up a crew out Browns and bringing them to Lakewood. I’m assuming this means SA38 will show up later, but I’m uncertain.
 #1582160  by cx4storm

@Bracdude181

Thanks for the heads up. I received the last packet at 19:54:04. It's possible the spot they stopped in is in a null for my antenna. I'll leave it running and if anything changes, I'll post it here.
 #1582164  by Bracdude181

@Hear my train a comin Behavior like this has been the norm in Lakewood for many years. Used to be a lot worse though. Lakewood had lots of gangs before the Israelis moved in, (Bloods, Crips, etc) and from what I’ve heard they would try to take lumber from the train while it was moving, or commit other, more heinous acts. I’m honestly surprised we never had a shooting incident.

Truthfully it has been quite a while since a group that large has attempted to ride on the train. Fortunately that’s about as bad as it gets now maybe aside from the people walking down the trains and when they leave their garbage on the ROW. They’ve even left heavy appliances in the track gauge at times!
 #1582165  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:06 pm @Hear my train a comin Behavior like this has been the norm in Lakewood for many years. Used to be a lot worse though. Lakewood had lots of gangs before the Israelis moved in, (Bloods, Crips, etc) and from what I’ve heard they would try to take lumber from the train while it was moving, or commit other, more heinous acts. I’m honestly surprised we never had a shooting incident.

Truthfully it has been quite a while since a group that large has attempted to ride on the train. Fortunately that’s about as bad as it gets now maybe aside from the people walking down the trains and when they leave their garbage on the ROW. They’ve even left heavy appliances in the track gauge at times!
If you got any pics of people hopping on top of the train, post them. Always interesting to see pics of people being complete idiots.

I'm going to go on a whim and say it was a bunch of Israeli youth that hopped on for the joyride. I'll admit, the thought always crossed my mind when I was younger, but I have enough braincells to know that's a bad idea.
 #1582166  by RailsEast

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:54 pm Around 20 people jumped onto the train at County Line and they were riding it!
You know the rule...post a photo or video or it never happened. Hearsay evidence rarely holds up in railroad court...
 #1582167  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:07 am @JohnFromJersey With the current amount of customers and how often they need service, I doubt we will see more than twice a week service down here.

As for attracting customers, C&D only gained one customer on the lines they took over. HK Logistics in Port Colden. Another two customers they had no longer get shipments by rail, and I am unsure as to why. Both were very small customers though.
If the sand trains ever come with the Gateway Tunnels, *maybe* we will see a train or two a day for a few years while they build it.

I do have hope that some new customers will hop on. I think C&D will have more desire to chase down potential clients. Remember, there's a decent amount of warehouses with decently sized sidings that are in good shape; you would just need to reinstall the switch. Howell alone is starting to have a lot of industrial parks and warehouses take foot, with heavy local resistance. I'd imagine if those developers used trains just as much as trucks in their proposals, they'd be more welcomed into town.

There's also the waste transfer facility they keep talking about, and the dump in Tinton Falls could get rail access if need be.
 #1582168  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey Sadly I do not have video of the incident. My friend does but I’d have to pull the clip from SD Card on his camera, and it will be a few days before I can do that. It was at County Line Road forgot to mention. I have considered posting some of what goes on in Lakewood. The REAL good stuff happens at Cross Street. So many occurrences of road rage, close calls, and other strange things!

You are correct. The youth are the ones who were doing it. For what it’s worth I wouldn’t do it either. Especially not here where the track is bad enough that the train has trouble staying on!

On to C&D:

Chances are they will push somewhat for more customers. That’s actually why Morris County wanted them to run the lines they own back in 2017, because they thought C&D would advertise better. Well, one of the customers they lost was in Dover, so there’s that.

Interestingly the one customer they did pick up was a distribution center. Not entirely sure what they deal with but they get refrigerated boxcars.

Howell is starting to see more distribution centers built but most are kinda small. The real BIG ones that could really use rail service are out in Dayton and Hightstown. The thing is with distribution centers though is most like to deal with trucks rather than trains. Mainly because of the “Just in time” delivery ideology that took off in the early 2000s. The smaller, independent places will get their stuff in Boxcars depending on the circumstances, but most don’t bother. Just in time delivery means the warehouse is cheaper to operate, and to many that is the bottom line.
 #1582170  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey I think C&D kinda does that in Ringoes on the Black River and Western.

Actually you’ve just reminded me of something. NS recently started a new thing allowing “intermodal style services” to be done with boxcars. Maybe C&D could do something similar? Idk
 #1582171  by JohnFromJersey

Train passing through Farmingdale, very loudly, at 1:09 am. Not the latest run I've heard it make, I've heard it at 3AM before back in June or July.
Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:57 pm @JohnFromJersey I think C&D kinda does that in Ringoes on the Black River and Western.

Actually you’ve just reminded me of something. NS recently started a new thing allowing “intermodal style services” to be done with boxcars. Maybe C&D could do something similar? Idk
Probably. Once Plate F is allowed I'd imagine they can do all sorts of things.