• WNY&P RR-Olean

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SST

With everybody mostly on social media (not me) I haven’t seen much discussion on this to the point I wondered if they were even operating. As I was returning from Coudersport, Pa via Rt417 I came across St Boniventure University. I was looking for the former ROW of where coal trains came on the campus years ago. Unfortunately I didn’t look far enough west so I didn’t find it.

As I drove up Constitution Ave where the tracks parallel closely I came upon the WNY&P RR. It suddenly dawned on me that I explored this area maybe 20 years ago when it was NS. The yard was full of tank cars. Here are a couple of pictures I took before heading home. A foggy morning. Glad to see that are still in operation.
  by charlie6017

Yep, they're still in operation. The big ALCO's aren't really being used now, as the former CSX AC6000's have taken their place. I caught the Farmer's Valley run early last week from Olean, which the four axle ALCO's still handle. The runs to Driftwood are seldom now, however.

Charlie
  by jr

Referring to the St. Bonaventure Railroad - I'm not aware of any vestige of the track remaining. I attended the university in the late 70s / early 80s, and never saw anything (although I didn't specifically go searching for it). On the "PRR" side of 417, the track approximately followed the current driveway for the WNYP railroad. On the university side, various roads and a newer building have mostly obliterated the right of way.

JR