Railroad Forums 

• WNY&P RR-Olean

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1581523  by SST

With everybody mostly on social media (not me) I haven’t seen much discussion on this to the point I wondered if they were even operating. As I was returning from Coudersport, Pa via Rt417 I came across St Boniventure University. I was looking for the former ROW of where coal trains came on the campus years ago. Unfortunately I didn’t look far enough west so I didn’t find it.

As I drove up Constitution Ave where the tracks parallel closely I came upon the WNY&P RR. It suddenly dawned on me that I explored this area maybe 20 years ago when it was NS. The yard was full of tank cars. Here are a couple of pictures I took before heading home. A foggy morning. Glad to see that are still in operation.
 #1581567  by charlie6017

Yep, they're still in operation. The big ALCO's aren't really being used now, as the former CSX AC6000's have taken their place. I caught the Farmer's Valley run early last week from Olean, which the four axle ALCO's still handle. The runs to Driftwood are seldom now, however.

Charlie
 #1581596  by jr

Referring to the St. Bonaventure Railroad - I'm not aware of any vestige of the track remaining. I attended the university in the late 70s / early 80s, and never saw anything (although I didn't specifically go searching for it). On the "PRR" side of 417, the track approximately followed the current driveway for the WNYP railroad. On the university side, various roads and a newer building have mostly obliterated the right of way.

JR