• P74 coach at old Holban Yard

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by 452 Card

Its a retired B&M "blimp" car that MW used for storage at Dunkirk St. Yard. Last i knew it was to be scrapped.
  by Pensyfan19

Should someone contact Twin Forks or RMLI to see if they can preserve it?
  by trainspot

I'm sure the chapters are aware, but don't need another project. It looked rough from a distance.
  by LIHISTORYTRAINS

It looks like the rust molecules are the only things holding it together.
  by RGlueck

The B&M historical types might want it BUT...,
the unseen issues are moving it off rail, incredible corrosion issues, insurance, and certificate to carry it on the road. Most of this stuff has to go by truck these days. Once you get it onto museum property there's the issue of stabilization, mostly roof and sills, cleaning the vandalized interiors which often contain human waste, drug paraphenalia, all manner of lovely prose spray painted, and more!
In the meanwhile, the museum is working (understaffed) to maintain the current collection.

Most everything i cool and worth keeping if you're a railfan, but the average visitor is generally ignorant of the historic point for saving the item. I hate the argument "You can't save everything", but you can do a few things really well or look like an abandoned auto junkyard. It's just a sad fact we have to contend with as preservationists.
  by workextra

The necessary preservation organization know about these cars and there is no need to start crying about acquisition or restoration.
I personally was in both cars. They’re toast. Forget it.
7535 providing the frame isn’t bent or damaged from be heavily loaded on one side (may) be salvageable with a few million to spare. Anyone interested to fun that?
The car that is not visible in the photo is in completely gutted inside with skylights cut into the roof. Abs absolutely NOTHING left from it’s time in passenger service.
When the time comes these cars are done. The necessary actions will be taken to allow them to be picked for parts needed to restore 7526 at Twin Forks. But the number of those “parts” are very low.
Items such had the trucks, brasses, doors if there salvageable, but likely little to nothing more.
Long story short. It’s sad to see them scrapped but like I said, w/o a serious investment of cash in unrestricted funds, in addition to the LIRR officially donating it. Consider these 2 scrapped.
  by 452 Card

AMEN its junk