• June 17, 2021, collision at Cold Spring Harbor

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by bellstbarn

This morning's Newsday on page 2 (7.3.2021) has an account of a collision or accident at Cold Spring Harbor between a LIRR "work train" and a westbound NY & Atlantic freight. I could be mistaken but it sounds like a track-inspection unit was doing 40 mph when it collided with a stopped freight. Don't those inspection cars have cab signals? Or is this an example of PTC being less accurate than old-time signals? Five employees were injured.
  by hxa

bellstbarn wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:01 am Don't those inspection cars have cab signals? Or is this an example of PTC being less accurate than old-time signals? Five employees were injured.
No, based on LIRR's PTC implementation plan of 2018:
lirr fleet.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by ExCon90

The exhibit does not mention adding ACSES to inspection cars, but does state that the entire fleet is equipped with cab signals and ATS, which by itself is sufficient to detect track occupancy ahead. There are a number of possible causes, including equipment failure, but since there were no fatalities and no significant equipment damage (at 40 mph?) there probably won't be an NTSB investigation and therefore no further release of information to the public. It would be interesting to know just how it happened, however.
  by R36 Combine Coach

If the PTC plan has only 240 M7 pairs due to be equipped, that would only be 480 cars. Are some being used
as trailer only?
  by Patch Hog

That table looks like an update of how many vehicles remain to be equipped since none of the numbers are correct for totals.
  by nyandw

bellstbarn wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:01 am This morning's Newsday on page 2 (7.3.2021) has an account of a collision or accident at Cold Spring Harbor between a LIRR "work train" and a westbound NY & Atlantic freight. I could be mistaken but it sounds like a track-inspection unit was doing 40 mph when it collided with a stopped freight. Don't those inspection cars have cab signals? Or is this an example of PTC being less accurate than old-time signals? Five employees were injured.
Anyone have this Newsday article? Too bad Newsday doesn't get it. No, we will not subscribe, but have a website and run ads like the rest of the planet, maybe??
  by RRspatch

From someone on another forum: This is the reason Amtrak's "Corridor Clipper" is running around on the LIRR. This is being done so that the LIRR stays in compliance with the FRA for track Geometry testing since their Geometry test car ran into the rear of a freight train.
  by Crabman1130

nyandw wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:40 am Anyone with photos of this mishap?
I saw an arial photo. There wasn't much to see. looked like the inspection car was coupled to a lumber car. I don't have a hosting site so I can't post it here.
  by scopelliti

No need for a hosting site. When you reply you can upload the photo by selecting "Upload attachment" in the box below the textbox then click "Place inline".
uploadfiles.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by MACTRAXX

Steve: The location is just east of the Cold Spring Harbor Station near the Rogues Path underpass.
In the first picture showing the freight train there is a 12 MU car stop marker sign visible...MACTRAXX
  by mjd13076

Isn’t it adorable how Newsday, REPEATEDLY in the article, calls it “New York & Railway”. Good to see the editors and reporters do their homework.