• Anyone have any photos from the old Mineola Spur branch

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

Antonio Morrow wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:03 am Image
From my site: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrcontents.htm
DD1 #358 pulling freight northbound of West Hempstead station headed for Country Life Press where it joined the Hempstead branch when the line connected between Valley Stream and Mineola. The freight brakeman had to flag each crossing and he appears to be ready to hop on the steps for a ride to the next grade crossing. 9/28/47 Archive: Dave Keller
  by railfaned

In 1966 I took Driver Ed with an instructor who was an avid LIRR/Motor Parkway enthusiast. One day we passed north of Stewart Ave and saw abandoned LIRR structures like a freight house etc. I have never seen any photos of the area from north of Hempstead Crossing to Mineola. In later years I only remember seeing the old cutoff remains at Mineola.
Any other photos would be greatly appreciated.
  by nyandw

jack butler505 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:37 amWhich crossings are the 2 photos that Antonio posted?
Newsday location #33: Image

The other is: DD1 #358 pulling freight northbound of West Hempstead station headed for Country Life Press where it joined the Hempstead branch when the line connected between Valley Stream and Mineola. The freight brakeman had to flag each crossing and he appears to be ready to hop on the steps for a ride to the next grade crossing. 9/28/47 Archive: Dave Keller
  by bill613A

In May 1985 the British Leyland Railbus ran for a week or so in the Cleveland area between downtown and Mentor using RTA tracks and a stretch of the ex-NKP line. At the time there was talk of further tests in the Cleveland area which never happened and of tests to be run on the LIRR particularly on the Oyster Bay and West Hempstead as part of a possible north south line for local traffic. I don't remember ever seeing any photos of any runs. Did these tests ever take place?