• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gokeefe

Rockingham Racer wrote:It wasn't that way until a few years ago.
I can remember multiple occasions where as a coach passenger I was not allowed to use the diner for any number of reasons. It wasn't a blanket policy but the bottom line is that it wasn't universal access either. I'm guessing for now Amtrak is risk averse and wants to minimize demand.

This is a really good reminder of how hard it has been for Amtrak to balance cost v. benefits of food service practically since inception.

I remain convinced that the best thing Amtrak could do would be to "charge what they'll pay" for coach passengers. The motto might as well be "it's not about the food". If people are willing to overpay for the experience you might as well take their money while you're at it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by ExCon90

Rockingham Racer wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:55 pm It wasn't that way until a few years ago.
True; pre-Amtrak it was almost universally a given that any ticketed passenger could be served in the diner -- the railroad was glad to have the revenue regardless of class of travel. There were many all-sleeper trains which had no coach passengers on board, and I believe that at least on Fridays the New Haven's Merchants Limited had one section with parlor cars only, but if a train carried coach passengers they were welcome in the diner. Quite a number of trains, particularly in the West, carried both a regular diner and a "coffee shop" car, which offered lower prices and a different menu and was marshalled next to the coaches, but if you wanted a "white tablecloth" dinner in the diner nobody asked to see your ticket -- portraits of presidents and other public figures were sufficient. (This was back in the days when there was no specified dress code; everybody knew that you dressed for church when taking a trip -- coach or Pullman.)
  by Gilbert B Norman

urr304 (appearing on a previous oage) wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:44 pm I know this discussion has been long, but what is with the National Railroad Passenger Corporation segregating out coach passengers from the dining car service? Maybe the ACLU couild do something right and sue for the end of this discrimination. If someone is able to pay the fare then they should be allowed to eat in the diner.
Mr. URR; sorry but this one is "over the top".
Do you think I could go parading into a country club located within my municipality yet named for one immediately to the East, and where you need be sponsored, first pay the $65K imitiation, then $5K annual dues, then be on tap for some $1.5K of House Charges - whether you use 'em or not, simply because I had the "jingle in the jeans" to pay the menu (printed on the host's only) price for something I wanted to eat?

Uh, don't think so.

To me this tale is analagous to Mr. URR's position.
  by lordsigma12345

Traditional dining service returns June 23rd to the Two night trains plus Coast Starlight. The eagle passengers will have access to traditional dining for the SAS-LAX portion in the sunset limited diner. Flexible dining will remain on the main portion of the route. A few things from flexible dining have been incorporated - only sleeper passengers have access to the dining car and complimentary soft drinks and first alcoholic drink on the house will be continued. www.Amtrak.com/traditionaldining
  by photobug56

Which train is this from? I'd say it' does exceed Waffle House!
  by bostontrainguy

photobug56 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:00 pm Which train is this from? I'd say it' does exceed Waffle House!
Looks pretty consistent for all western LD trains:

California Zephyr Menu
Coast Starlight Menu
Empire Builder Menu
Southwest Chief Menu
Sunset Limited Menu
Texas Eagle Menu
  by nkloudon

I'm not big on lunch. Would they serve me a kids' hot dog if I asked for it?
  by STrRedWolf

photobug56 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:00 pm Which train is this from? I'd say it' does exceed Waffle House!
I haven't had the steak from ether Amtrak or Waffle House, but the menu makes me think of Waffle House (although with a more hotel-like menu). Those with more experience can say more towards this. I just think comparing the two steaks would be interesting.
  by Train60

HenryAlan wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:28 pm It's not segregation aimed at any kind of protected class. We have a long tradition in this country of discriminating based on ability or willingness to pay. The diner service isn't part of the coach class ticket, somebody who wants it has to pay for the more expensive ticket. This is just the same as anything else involving multiple price points and classes of service.
Yes, but this situation is still a little different I think. Amtrak's dining cars were probably purchased with federal dollars and Amtrak's LD services are heavily supported by annual appropriations from the federal gov't. In my view, coach passengers shouldn't be barred from eating in an Amtrak dining car.
Last edited by Train60 on Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.