• Surfs Up on the Long Island Rail Road

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by railtrailbiker

You can now take the train to the wave. The Long Island Rail Road has ended a long-standing ban on surfboards being carried on trains. The policy prevented New York City surfers from getting to popular Long Island beaches.
http://1010wins.com/topstories/local_st ... 15515.html
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

I am a Conductor on the railroad, and as far as I know surboards are still banned. In fact last weekend they were making announcements in Penn Station advising passengers they were not allowed on the trains
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

Why are we always the last to be told these things?

by Clemuel

You're not alone, Conductor. Apparently President Dermody made a deal with Newsday on this and never bothered telling the Transportation Department.

Just cut out the Newsday article and clip it to General Notice 2-15. Then be governed accordingly.

Quite a place, eh?

Clemuel

by Lupo 10

This will be interesting. I can just see the 5:22pm out of Penn to KO with surfboards on it. Yeah......that'll fly. I can't wait to sit back and watch the fights that will ensue between Bob the commuter and Biff the surferdude

The article says that surfers were citing that golf clubs and bicycles are allowed, why not surfboards. I thought that Bicycles were only allowed on off peak trains. I don't know where I heard that but thought it was the rule

by mkm4

Lupo 10 wrote: I thought that Bicycles were only allowed on off peak trains. I don't know where I heard that but thought it was the rule
That is the rule and you need a permit.

LIRR Bicycle Permit Regulations

by BMT

Guys, the LIRR bike rules are (1) you need a permit; (2) bikes are not allowed during peak ridership hours; (3) expect to be directed to the first or last cars as they traditionally have fewer riders; and (3) if you are in a GROUP of bikers expect to be broken up where two bikes per car (one at each of the handicapped and/or doorway vestibules -- depending on equipment).

I have much experience with the RR as I am an avid biker who enjoys weekend excursions on the east end of LI. If all goes well I will be doing one this weekend at Greenport (biking from the train station to Orient Point and back).

by Lupo 10

So I would assume the bike rules will apply to surfers as well?

by pineywoodsman

BMT wrote: If all goes well I will be doing one this weekend at Greenport (biking from the train station to Orient Point and back).
Well good luck if you go, it's gonna be hot and very humid both days, in the 90s from what I hear. Even out east. The Greenport line is always a nice ride, especially in the fall. Well if you go, good luck staying cool and drink plenty of gatorade.
Haven't had many nice days to take the train out east at all this summer. Too hazy, hot, and humid. I was hoping to take the Montauk line all the way to Montauk and then the bus (or buses) to Montauk Point lighthouse. Hopefully the weather will cool off a bit and I won't have a surfboard in my face. Those Montauk trains have alot of people with even more of their "stuff".

by Clemuel

A notice has been issued this morning to inform crews that they may permit passengers to carry surfboards.

Conductors are to direct passengers to lightly traveled cars and "encourage" passengers attempting to board heavy trains to board the next train.

As with most railroad policies of late, the rather subjective policy leaves train crews with little direction or authority, and does more to disrupt order than to help them maintain it, which is a major purpose for their employment.

Clem

by Lupo 10

Sounds like my job. New policies, vaugue guidelines, details were not thought out properly and no one really knows how to interpret them so they can do their jobs to their fullest.

Management. Can't live with em, can live much better without em!

by BMT

I'm bringing frozen bottles of water, so I think we'll survive the rough temps.

BTW, at NYCT the rule is bikes are allowed at all hours, but it is suggested that bikers use the first and last cars of the train where crowding is less of a problem. If passengers complain about a biker blocking doors, etc., the Conductor has the option of ejecting the rider or calling the Police if the rider does not comply.

I have seen surfers with their boards on the A train heading out to the Rockaways, so it is not a problem in the subway system. KOWABUNGA! :wink:

by BMT

Well, cooler heads prevailed -- literally -- as the LIRR to Greenport then biking out to Orient Point was canceled due to the heatwave from hell. :(

We're gonna reschedule for the fall. Will post it here so if anyone else is interested they can tag along.