Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mirrodie

Re: bonnets , Yes! Vividly recall going to see my mom at her office in MP and seeing these inside the Stores building. IIRC it was the 2nd building on the right after you drove by the gate to enter.

Anyone confirm if w74 is now a Pepsi can?

Bill, love the 1980s Morris Park. Seriously appreciate it. Since it’s a snow day today , I’ll let if I can scan some love in here today.
newkirk wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:58 pm

This is where the spare fiberglass M-1 end bonnets were stored.

What's the story with #W-74, is it still there or scrapped long ago ?

Re: bonnets , Yes! Vividly recall going to see my mom at her office in MP and seeing these inside the Stores building. IIRC it was the 2nd building on the right after you drove by the gate to enter.

Anyone confirm if w74 is now a Pepsi can?

Bill, love the 1980s Morris Park. Seriously appreciate it. Since it’s a snow day today , I’ll let if I can scan some love in here today.
  by mirrodie

So I had a few old scanned photos... Although I was a latecomer to the game, I looked for differing perspectives. One day, perhaps I'll partner up with someone here and make a nice coffee table book :) :-D

Couple hacks for ya.

The ONLY commute I ever looked forward to.

The coolest, most over-powered consist I ever saw.
  by newkirk

mirrodie wrote: Bill, love the 1980s Morris Park. Seriously appreciate it. Since it’s a snow day today , I’ll let if I can scan some love in here today.
Thank you, kool pics you posted.
  by jhdeasy

upton wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:34 pm Attached is one of my photos that I took in the summer of 1974 in Ronkonkoma with all the HP's that were needed for the Scoot. Those units were leased from Precision National as well as BAR.
After a closer look at the photo of that Greenport scoot consist, I see the coach is one of the former Kansas City Southern coaches. It looks like one of the KCS cars built by ACF in 1956, which became LIRR 8563 thru 8568.
  by photobug56

To whoever wrote about the sound of the GP38-2's on LIRR; I loved riding the one EB train that had a pair up front rust bucket care with the open vestibule, and you got to cleanly hear those 2 engines purring along seemingly effortlessly towards PJ (my stop East Northport). Very relaxing sound before getting off at my stop and driving the rest of the way home.
  by Backshophoss

The GP-38-2's had 1 prime mover,unless you had 2 GP 38-2's on the head end, or as is done from Montauk,the power was wyed and coupled to the power pack on the trip home.
  by photobug56

One daily round trip on the PJ line had 2 GP38-2's on the east end, I think a power pack on the west end. Fairly long train, can't remember times but I do recall that with 2 engines it had no trouble keeping up with the schedule going east. Back then I commuted to from 245 Park Avenue and the #7 to HPA most days from 1990 until the Bitanic went into service (on days when it wasn't broken down).
  by mirrodie

Photobug, that is spot on. I may have GP38 sounds off a mini disc that I strapped the engine floorboard on a few trips. Just relaxing like a sound machine!
  by photobug56

Only engine sound I like better is from my 1926 Packard - the engine is the predecessor of the famous Super 8 engines, same engine the hotel chain is named for.
  by upton

jhdeasy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:19 pm
upton wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:34 pm Attached is one of my photos that I took in the summer of 1974 in Ronkonkoma with all the HP's that were needed for the Scoot. Those units were leased from Precision National as well as BAR.
After a closer look at the photo of that Greenport scoot consist, I see the coach is one of the former Kansas City Southern coaches. It looks like one of the KCS cars built by ACF in 1956, which became LIRR 8563 thru 8568.
This was another KCS car in Greenport on the Shelter Island Express.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by newkirk

Any idea what #269 is doing there ?
Photo: Bill Mangahas (February 2001)

Future power pack #623 that never happened or parts donor.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (July 1981)

Photo: Bill Mangahas (November 2010)

Massapequa - Check out those old cars !
Photo: Gerrit Bruins (May 1963)

Merrick Grade crossing elimination temporary station.
(November 11, 1974)

Maiantenance of way train at Massapequa.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (February 1983)

Pine Aire
Photo: Bill Mangahas (September 1986)

Roslyn Road grade crossing elimination.
Photo: Bill Mangahas (July 2007)

LIRR East NY substation #2 from (L) NYC subway Atlantic Ave platform (since demolished).
Photo: Bill Mangahas (April 1999)
  by photobug56

Love all these photos. Here's one of my favorites, at Huntington or East Northport, first day inbound of commercial service of the FL9AC's and their C1 cars (I believe), the train that became known as the BITANIC. Sweet sounding prime movers, heavily computerized (rebuilt locos and cars), magnetic connectors between cars for such things as door control (later replaced with standard cabling and sockets). If you got a 2 seater you'd be fairly comfortable. But the locos were amazing looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by photobug56

oops on the triple upload. FYI, get a good look inside that cab at all the people in it, including the then LIRR president as I recall.
  by Bad Luck

Terrific photos gents, thanks for the memories.

Bill, the LI 38's (save the four for NYA) were sent out for rebuild upon LIRR retirement. As I recall, EMD had the right to first refusal, and after deciding to keep the units, had them rebuilt for their own lease fleet, Locomotive Leasing Partners (LLPX). The units left the Island via the NYCH, and were stored in Bush Terminal while en route, prior to being floated over to Greenville. CN's Transcona Shop did the work. I believe Juniata may have also done a batch... but it's been so many years that I don't recall.

Do you have any more photos of the 38's (Powerpacks too!) after retirement? Great shot.
  by 452 Card

That pic of the FL-9 is train #605 on its first day in service with the FL-9AC locomotives. I am operating the train with a host of bigwigs in the cab. I think the President was Hoppe. No pressure on that day, right?