Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by alcoAL

I came across this website of Hicksville history and saw these photos of the end of steam ceremony in Oct 1955. Just some more views not seen before. (you never know what you'll find when googling)

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/lake ... steam.html

by Richard Glueck

Photoshop them a bit, and they could be used to press for a simultaneous rebuild of both locomtives. I am sure that a few discreet newspaper ads would rain down a flurry of private photos from people's personal collections, scrapbooks, and albums, from that day in 1955. We forget that creativity in picture taking is not isolated to a few experienced hobbiests. These are great examples of that fact. Terrific stuff. DO we know who they belong to?

by alcoAL

Not sure who owns them. I assume the photographer sent them to the webmaster for posting. I emailed a name listed on the site for him to update the RMLI & Fo35 links but got back an undeliverable message.
  by Head-end View

You can see more photos of that 1955 ceremony at Hicksville as well as lots of other Long Island wide LIRR photos from that period in the book "Long Island Railroad, a Pictorial Record of the Steam-to-Diesel transistion" by Fred Kramer and John Krause. Printed by Carstens Publications of Newton, N.J. in the late 1980's. I bought it in 1989 at a hobby shop. Don't know if it's still available. It also had good photos of crossing elimination projects in progress in Lynbrook, Rockville Centre and Freeport. :-)