• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by David Benton

photobug56 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:06 pm Wonder why they sent it out without the PTC gear installed already, unless they are testing it at Pueblo before installing in the 2nd and upcoming 3rd set.
Because the NEC is ACSES or whatever ??? After the Pueblo trip they won't leave the NEC.
  by Backshophoss

There's no electric head on the underside of the M-8 coupler,needed for MU and door comm trainlines,use hoses for MR/Brake pipe lines.
The Acela I's have knuckles,MR and Brake pipe hoses in their nose.
Acela I's never ran with 2 sets coupled together.

Believe Pueblo has ACSES and I-ETMS test sections,Entire NEC is Cab signal+ACSES including MN's New Haven line
  by Tadman

west point wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:46 am Get real Cheater couplers probably will be carried on each A-2 set both ends.
That wouldn't surprise me at all. From what I see, every M8 and Jersey Transit Arrow carries cheaters. Someone on this board once told me it was regulation, not sure how that works as nothing in Chicago carries cheater couplers.
  by nomis

The Acela II sets are now hitting the employee timetables rated at 90mph, 50mph in “om-nom-nom” mode with the shroud opened on the leading end.
  by west point

Testing and certification takes time. Am surprised that it is already 90 MPH. You have Amtrak, FRA, Alstom officials all riding the equipment and all the test equipment. Then take a download of data and analyze for any abnormalities. Probably ran at 100 to get the 90. Now when the next certification test is set the Acela-2 can run at 90 MPH to the test area. With a FRA exemption at the test area it can run at the max speed listed on the exemption. Then again if everything is OK knock off 10 % for next normal Max speed.

Have to wonder what speed it had to run at for the first tests ? Whatever the ferry permit allowed when run to PHL ? The TTC probably had certified their set # one for the ferry trip. Probably test equipment was on the ferry trip to verify certify set 2's max authorized speed ? Unit 2 will probably finally go to Rhode Island for 160 tests unless Newark to Trenton has FRA approval. If is done there then the EWR - Trenton will also get daily 160 . The unit will have to go at 176 and probably 180 to certify for 160. .
  by Pensyfan19

bostontrainguy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:58 am Maybe the NEC speed record of 171 (170.8) mph by the UA TurboTrain from 1967 will finally be broken!
It could be! The top speed of these things are 220 mph. Although it is unlikely that we can see these trainsets break 180 on the NEC anytime soon due to track conditions and speed restrictions, maybe they can still break the speed record! They are planned on going up to 165 in some areas, so that is close enough to go a few miles per hour more.
  by John_Perkowski

west point wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:15 am Now when the next certification test is set the Acela-2 can run at 90 MPH to the test area. With a FRA exemption at the test area it can run at the max speed listed on the exemption. Then again if everything is OK knock off 10 % for next normal Max speed.
You assume FRA Class 5 trackage outside the corridor. There is some, but the Vast majority is Class 4.
  by mtuandrew

John_Perkowski wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:49 am
west point wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:15 am Now when the next certification test is set the Acela-2 can run at 90 MPH to the test area. With a FRA exemption at the test area it can run at the max speed listed on the exemption. Then again if everything is OK knock off 10 % for next normal Max speed.
You assume FRA Class 5 trackage outside the corridor. There is some, but the Vast majority is Class 4.
I think he means that AX-II would run at 90 mph on the NEC to the test location, whether New Jersey or Rhode Island. Unless they’re planning to test it on the former ATSF :wink: .
  by Matt Johnson

Pensyfan19 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:58 am

It could be! The top speed of these things are 220 mph.
Alstom offers a non-tilt version (potentially for California HSR) with 220 mph capability but as delivered to Amtrak they're capable of 186 mph. I'll be curious to see if they hit that speed (plus or minus a few mph) during testing on the NEC.

I am anxious to catch the trainset during daylight hours at Princeton Junction. How soon that might happen, I do not know.
  by Acela150

Pensyfan19 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:58 am
bostontrainguy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:58 am Maybe the NEC speed record of 171 (170.8) mph by the UA TurboTrain from 1967 will finally be broken!
They are planned on going up to 165 in some areas, so that is close enough to go a few miles per hour more.
Where have you heard that top speed will be 165? IIRC, it was flirted with as an idea, but that was it.Amtrak has publicly stated the top speed goal is 160 MPH.
west point wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:15 am Unit 2 will probably finally go to Rhode Island for 160 tests unless Newark to Trenton has FRA approval. If is done there then the EWR - Trenton will also get daily 160 . The unit will have to go at 176 and probably 180 to certify for 160. .
TS 2 will start testing in and out of PHL first, then make its way east to CT, RI, and MA.

Keep in mind that the Raceway is between Trenton and New Brunswick. A span of about 25 miles. But, the constant tension overhead isn't anywhere near that length.

Testing certification speeds are 5 MPH above the proposed limit, AFAIK. Could be wrong. But I highly doubt that any Alstom equipment will get anywhere near 180 during testings. There is a curve along the Raceway that must be taken at 130 MPH, per the FRA mandated speed limit for curves.