• Genesis discussion (AMD-103, P40DC, P42DC)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by njtmnrrbuff

Amtrak is also looking into buying self propelled trainsets too which isn't a bad idea for the New Haven to Springfield Shuttles and other state sponsored routes. It wouldn't be the first time that Amtrak would have used self propelled trainsets. Remember the turboliners?
  by mtuandrew

I think we all remember the Turboliners by now :P

The only self-propelled units (not trainsets) Amtrak has ever successfully used are the RDCs. The IC/3 Flexliner tests did hold promise - I rode one from Minneapolis to Robbinsdale, MN way back - but the SPVs were failures, and I don’t recall another type Amtrak ever demonstrated. As for self-propelled trainsets, the TurboTrain and RTGs were successful as far as they went, but seem to have been an evolutionary dead end. The LRC never made it well in America - maybe because F40/AEM-7 + Amfleet did the same job but more flexibly.

—————

Returning to the original premise, I’d like to see if Amtrak could work with NS and rebuild the Geneses with AC traction. It’s worked well so far with the AC44C6M.
  by Backshophoss

For the Dual Modes, on Empire service,and commuter services out of NY Penn and GCT,Amtrak. Metro North, ConnDOT, and LIRR will find
a design that fits all parties involved, Siemens is working on a Charger design variant for everybody,but fighting the weight issue into GCT. :(
  by njtmnrrbuff

My first pick is to have everything running with Chargers on diesel routes.
  by DutchRailnut

from PRII document : ( the P32acdm weight is 271 000 lbs)

Siemens is the manufacturer selected to construct the PRIIA Diesel-Electric Passenger
Locomotive, named the Charger, which has a maximum speed of 125 MPH. Siemens advised
that, using the PRIIA Charger locomotive as a base (at 272,000 pounds), the addition of the DC
3rd rail gear and electrical equipment would result in a DM locomotive which would be heavier
(at 291,500 pounds) and 3 feet longer. The DM locomotive would not exceed the P2 force of
82,000 pounds on the rail at 110 MPH; however, at 125 MPH the P2 force limit would be
exceeded. The addition of a notable and useful on-board energy storage would add an
additional 15,000 pounds. The Siemens Charger locomotive meets EPA Tier 4 emissions
standards.
  by Ryand-Smith

In that thread they already allowed for 110mph max speed because all 4 manufacturers said it couldn't be done.
  by east point

Many posters here in the past have stated the SPVs failed due to union rules when they were first entered into service. Because of rules back then one truck had motors removed and using just one truck for motoring was not reliable enough?
  by DutchRailnut

SPV's by design had all 4 axles powered, the railroads refused to pay for fireman , which was requirement for anything over 70 ton on the drivers.
so railroad removed outer axle drive shaft , with inner axle in each truck being only driver in each truck .
now the car weight was only half on drivers/half on idlers, so no fireman required, but way overpowered at 350 hp per driver.
ok lets return to what will happen to gennies , SPV is not really what this topic is about.
  by njtmnrrbuff

If extensions of NE Regional trains that serve VA have a certain motive power, especially units that can accelerate well, then it would be good for all of the state sponsored routes, especially other routes in the Northeast to have that power as well(Empire Service, Pennsylvanian, New Haven to Springfield Shuttles).
  by Jeff Smith

CtDOT likes used equipment (as mentioned above re: Hartford Line). If they weren’t broke they’ve got a few lines ripe for new or expanded service. They also have two unelectrified branch lines with shuttle equipment derisively named “Brokevilles”.

Virginia and NC seem to have an appetite for expansion, NC in particular with their non-Amtrak branded service. MA could be expanding service out past Worcester in the near-term, and are already looking at Knowledge Corridor service to Springfield.

They’ll find homes...
  by benboston

Amtrak could use all of the extra trains to make a new service between Boston and Buffalo. This is a perfect corridor because with appropriate track upgrades the travel time could be drastically reduced. At about 500 miles it is only 50 miles longer than the NEC. Also, it has a large amount of decently sized cities, Boston, Worcester, Springfield, Albany, Schenectady, Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo, Utica. This means that if they made it into a high-frequency service, then the ridership would be quite high.
  by 8th Notch

mtuandrew wrote:I could see them drifting over to MassDOT too, given heavy rebuilds - there’s only so much MBTA can get out of the GP40MCs.
The T/MassDOT wants nothing to do with them! They tested one when they first came into service and deemed them unfit for the schedules.
  by SRich

I think that the p40 will be retired and p42 wil be on the roster till Amtrak has enough SC-44. And if Amtrak wants to ride a single locomotive for the LDT, i guess that is must be more powerfull than the current SC-44.
  by daybeers

benboston wrote:Amtrak could use all of the extra trains to make a new service between Boston and Buffalo. This is a perfect corridor because with appropriate track upgrades the travel time could be drastically reduced. At about 500 miles it is only 50 miles longer than the NEC. Also, it has a large amount of decently sized cities, Boston, Worcester, Springfield, Albany, Schenectady, Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo, Utica. This means that if they made it into a high-frequency service, then the ridership would be quite high.
I think you're dreaming a bit here :P What track upgrades would you suggest? Due to hills, the travel time, especially between Boston and Albany, is quite a bit longer than driving.