Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by TomNelligan

DutchRailnut wrote:lifting enforcement incase of derailments ?
Yes, those are lifting lugs. I don't know whether the MBTA specifically requested them when they ordered those cars, or they just came as part of the German manufactuer's (Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm, or MBB) design. Note that they were the only railcars MBB ever built -- they were was basically an aerospace firm. They were delivered to the MBTA in 1987-88.
  by dieciduej

SouthernRailway wrote:Separately, why do the Hartford Line coaches have two things sticking up at the end of each coach, with a hole in each thing?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... AHorn2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please see the roof, on each side of the horn: it's as though you could put a rope between the two holes and pick the car up that way.
DutchRailnut wrote:lifting enforcement incase of derailments ?
They are lifting lugs for lifting the nose of the car up for maintenance and or derailments. I am not sure if the whole car can be lifted at the four points without underbody straps.

JoeD
  by BandA

you mean ReInforcement, lol.

I always thought they were (giant) pivot points for future catenary! When they were new they were great with the 2+2 flipable seats & modern-looking slab-side styling. I'm guessing they haven't fixed the failed foam cushioning...
  by SouthernRailway

Yes, they are nice-looking cars: nice paint scheme on the outside and the inside is OK, with 2x2 seats. The seats were comfortable enough.

I find it odd though that there are so many Connecticut-funded railroads, all with paint schemes with varying amounts of red: CT Rail Hartford Line, Shore Line East and Metro-North. I see why MN is its own entity, but why have CT Rail and SLE as different railroads? Wouldn’t it make more sense to have one brand and ticketing for them both?
  by DutchRailnut

there is 3 operators for those 3 branches of Connecticut Dept of rail, all with different labor contracts and Union affiliation.
  by TomNelligan

SouthernRailway wrote: I see why MN is its own entity, but why have CT Rail and SLE as different railroads?
In addition to the labor agreements noted by Mr. Dutch, which were all negotiated at different times, there is a marketing factor. The Shore Line East name has become well known along the Connecticut coast over the past 28 years, so why mess with it? SLE does however now operate under the CTrail -- I keep wanting to read that as "see-trail" -- umbrella and its New Haven-painted GP40-2H locomotives have been repainted in the CTrail scheme for service on the Hartford line. (The ex-Amtrack P40DCs that power most SLE trains still wear a combination of Amtrak colors, rust, and dirt.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Train322

This related to three different operators with different union contracts.
Would it be less expensive to consolidate?

Also - which operator is the lowest cost?
Would it make sense to have the low cost operator eventually take over the other two lines?
Could Connecticut attempt to try to get the branch lines operated at lower cost?

I assume Metro North is the higher cost operator and it appears the MN is the best as far are quality.

thanks
  by DutchRailnut

There is no way Metro North Unions will allow another union to operate in Metro North territory.
yes they can get to New haven but any service between MN stations is protected (only allowance is Amtrak operations of national network)
If CDOT were to take away contract from Metro North there is no guarantee any CDOT trains would travel beyond NY/CT state line.

also the MN operating union would not bid SLE or Springfield work as it would allow a back door opening for engineers and Conductors to infiltrate the seniority list of MN.
  by BandA

I understand three operators, but three different unions? That's kinda ridiculous. Amtrak owns Penn Station & western part of CT IIRC, so they say who will run there. MN owns trackage in NY, so they say. CT owns east of New Haven so they say. Amtrak owns RI, MA owns MA.
  by Kilo Echo

BandA wrote:Amtrak owns Penn Station & western part of CT IIRC, so they say who will run there.
By "western part of CT," do you mean the tracks from the New York border to New Haven? That stretch is MTA Metro-North territory.
  by kitn1mcc

one thing i have noted and do not like it that the train crews lock the cars when they are on the platform. there is a whole line of people waiting to get on in the heat. but the crew is down by the engine yacking. why not let the people on out of the elements
  by BandA

Kilo Echo wrote:By "western part of CT," do you mean the tracks from the New York border to New Haven? That stretch is MTA Metro-North territory.
According to http://www.secter.org/Portals/0/pdfs/CT%20RR.pdf CTdot owns NEC west of New Haven & Amtrak owns east of New Haven. Metro-North is the passenger operator, not the owner. And of course, Amtrak owns the NHHS line.
  by lordsigma12345

CTDOT is owner New Haven to NY state line. MTA is owner NY state line to where it meets Harlem line. MTA also owns the Harlem line and the Empire Corridor/Hudson Line. Metro North the operator is a wholly owned subsidiary of the MTA is it not?
  by Kilo Echo

BandA wrote:According to http://www.secter.org/Portals/0/pdfs/CT%20RR.pdf CTdot owns NEC west of New Haven & Amtrak owns east of New Haven. Metro-North is the passenger operator, not the owner. And of course, Amtrak owns the NHHS line.
Of course you are correct. (I actually knew that!) I was attempting to mention, in a poorly worded way, that Metro-North trains took precedence over those of Amtrak on that stretch. My brain must have jumped the rails. (I guess I need my own lifting lugs.)
  by BandA

You raise the issue of dispatch priority! Presumably Amtrak dispatches NHHS & takes priority over CTRail on this line. I forget, did they build any station sidings for this project? The local CTRail then "takes the siding" and the Shuttle/Vermonter whizzes by... The CTRail trains probably have better acceleration because they are shorter? but make more frequent stops.