Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by krispy

I'm probably wrong, but that looks just like the bridge at Woodhaven Blvd at Eliot Ave. However, don't think there was a station there, as Rego Park was farther east. Nice pic!
  by ConstanceR46

Parkside. The bridge is the Met. ave bridge. We're looking southeast, past the woodhaven intersection.
  by nyandw

ConstanceR46 wrote:Parkside. The bridge is the Met. ave bridge. We're looking southeast, past the woodhaven intersection.
Quick! :-)

Does this Emery map indicate the area: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/rockaw ... le-Jct.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or perhaps a current street location address would help? Thanks.
  by ConstanceR46

It's taken from roughly opposite the position of the Met. Av petco.
  by Kilgore Trout

This street view shows approximately the same location today. Kind of amazing that there's almost zero evidence today of a station ever having been there.
  by newkirk

Thanks to all who responded. Now here's another LIRR / Trolley photo. Location is Junction Blvd. ca. 1940's.

Would this be the Port Washington branch ? (click on photo to enlarge)
  by ConstanceR46

PW branch, 105%
  by MACTRAXX

ConstanceR46 wrote:PW branch, 105%
Yes-Corona,Queens - South of the IRT(#7) Flushing Line to be more specific...MACTRAXX
  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:
Yes-Corona,Queens - South of the IRT(#7) Flushing Line to be more specific...MACTRAXX
Kilgore Trout shows Met Ave. Picture labled Junction Blvd. PW Branch in the Corona/Emlhurst area... Now I'm totally lost, help!
  by Kilgore Trout

Correct...the link I posted is the modern view of the photo newkirk posted.

The giveaways are in the bridge structures and cement wall underneath: Parkside has a high steel-sided bridge and flat-sided cement walls under the bridge, whereas the Junction Blvd photo shows an open-deck concrete bridge and distinctive ridges in the walls. Additionally the telegraph/power pole in the Parkside photo still exists (though the street lamp has been replaced - where's Kevin Walsh to give a complete history of the street lamp when you need him? ;))

Parkside back in the day, Parkside today

Junction Blvd back in the day, Junction Blvd today
  by nyandw

Thank you Kilgore Trout. :-) Here's Parkside: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/rockaw ... branch.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bill's opening photo of Parkside- Metropolitan Ave View NE c.1940's has the BMT Trolley - Metropolitan Avenue Line, running westbound. Abandoned June 12, 1949

LIRR Eastbound (View N) MU at Parkside c.1955 (W. J. Edwards photo, Dave Keller archive)
  by R36 Combine Coach

nyandw wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:
Kilgore Trout shows Met Ave. Picture labled Junction Blvd. PW Branch in the Corona/Emlhurst area... Now I'm totally lost, help!
That is Junction Blvd on Port Washington Branch (elevated 1930). The trolley line evolved into the present Q72 bus.