• DL&W RR crossing over Erie: North of Alexander-pics

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Matt Langworthy

MP366 wrote:Note: The locals will look at you like you have two heads if you use the term "North Alexander"....apparently just a railroad term :-)
IMO, that's why it is better to use the geographic name rather than the RR name for a location. John Q Public hasn't heard of places like North Alexander, North Leroy, Rheims or Chili Junction.
SST wrote:Sometime last year photobucket said pay us a chunk of money to use your pictures. I said forget it. All my pictures posted throughout the internet via photobucket have been blocked. So much for free.
Photobucket considers image tags on a message board to be website hosting, even if the person posting (e.g. you or me) doesn't own or even moderate said message board. When Photobucket told me they want $400 for website hosting last June, I did some research and eventually began the process of moving my 30,000 train photos to Flickr.
  by tk48states

BR&P wrote:
tk48states wrote:Went to this location today (5/6/18), only then trained eye of a dedicated railfan could tell there was ever an Railroad there.
An railroad, or two railroads? :P
No evidence of Erie branch to Alexander at site of DL&W crossing, creek has washed out roadbed.
  by RussNelson

The reason there are so many piers for the DL&W to cross the Erie is because it crossed the New York Central's Attica Branch at the same time. NYC on the west, Erie on the east. And yes, an interchange track was added after various abandonments made one necessary. I tried to bicycle it a few summers ago. Got more than halfway and called it quits. Too much ballast!
  by erie2937

Interesting to note that the NYC branch to Attica from Batavia was actually the original main line of the NYC to Buffalo. It was relegated to branch line status after the direct line from Batavia to Buffalo was built. There is a very old culvert on the abandoned NYC somewhere near Attica with a date on it. Can't remember exactly where it is. I have a postcard pic of the NYC depot at Alexander. NYC depot at Attica still exists.