Railroad Forums 

• DL&W RR crossing over Erie: North of Alexander-pics

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1097229  by SST

This is my 3rd attempt to get this posted. Don't know if it's the site, my computer or both. Not really a happy camper. Here goes again:

Over the weekend I took my boat out to the Alexander area for winter storage. I took a different route this time that paralles the DL&W. While reviewing my new route via Google maps, I came upon a RR jct that is nearby. It is the jct of the DL&W and the Erie in between Alexander and Batavia. While looking at the maps, I thought maybe what I was looking at was a mobile home resident. But when I got there and turned the corner onto Old Creek Rd, it was 1 of 4 concrete abutments for the DL&W crossing over the Erie. It this was during the summer, I wouldn't be able to see 2 of them. Wouldn't even be abel to see the Erie even thought it is right next to Old Creek Rd. This was a great find for me. The boat gave me a lot of trouble this year so this was a nice end to summer.

Due to the problems I"ve been having getting this posted, I'm only going to upload a couple of pictures per post in hopes to "save" something before it falls apart.

Acme mapper page: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.92738,-78 ... ttica%20NY

PIcture taken on the south side of the DL&W row looking north. These are the first 3 of 4 abutment for the DL&W. The Erie row goes in-between the 2nd and 3rd abutment.

Same position as above but looking straight up Old Creek Rd with the 3rd and 4th abutment in view. The wye is to my right but not in view.
 #1097231  by SST

This is the wye looking Northeast. The wye actually starts behind me but Old Creek Rd kind of erases it. This was the best place to snap a picture.

This picture was taken just east of the jct and looking east.
 #1097244  by SST

Same position as above but looking west towards the jct. The wye is just ahead but out of view.

This is taken from Rd 98 [Alexander Rd] and looking west towards Darien Lake. The jct is behind me.

An up close view of abutment 3. Either double tracked or single track with an access road.
 #1097281  by Matt Langworthy

The DL&W was double track. You must have been reading my mind on this subject, as I was in the Alexander area several times this month. I was looknig at the recent abandonned Erie ROW, which got me thinking about the Lackawanna main. I've gone to Bing Maps a coupler of times to look at the Erie/DL&W connection... which IIRC was built in the early '60s so EL could remove the ex-Lackawanna main between North Alexander and Lancaster. Your ground level pics give me a better perspective on North Alexander, so thanks for sharing.
 #1097468  by TB Diamond

There was not a "wye" where the DL&W crossed over the Erie Rochester branch.

The DL&W main was abandoned between Ray and East Alexander, 16.7 miles, in 1963; between East Lancaster and Lancaster, 1.7 mile, in 1963 and between Ray and North Alexander, 3.7 miles, in 1964.

Prior to these abandonments the new connection between the former Erie Rochester branch and the former DL&W main was constructed. This consisted of a graduated fill curved up to the DL&W from the Erie with a manual switch at the Erie end. There was no wye.

I walked this connection back in the early 1970s. There was a lock box which contained a train register by the manual switch.

Thank you for the photos. Great job of railroad exploration and recording.
 #1097488  by SST

When I looked at the Google maps I saw that their wasn't a true wye there but I didn't know what else to call it and it never dawned on me to use "curve" instead.

To bad there aren't any pictures of steam going over this bridge....or under. Unless an unknown farmer in the area has some and doesn't know it. The world may never know.
 #1097716  by pumpers

TB Diamond wrote:There was not a "wye" where the DL&W crossed over the Erie Rochester branch.

The DL&W main was abandoned between Ray and East Alexander, 16.7 miles, in 1963;.
Do you mean Ray and East Lancaster?

Also, when were things abandoned on the DLW east of this connection by North Alexander, and how far? JS
 #1097999  by TB Diamond

pumpers:

I did so mean. Brain lock sets in but yet again. Thank you for catching that error.

What ConRail referred to as the Groveland Secondary , North Alexander-Greigsville, was abandoned in 1985. Seems it was in late summer of that year.

SST:

Probably "connection" or "connecting track" would have sufficed.
 #1471715  by MP366

D&H GV2 curving to the east off the ex Erie branch to the ex DL&W main at North Alexander....I'm standing on the DL&W ROW for the shot. Note: The locals will look at you like you have two heads if you use the term "North Alexander"....apparently just a railroad term :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/duncanrich ... ateposted/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1471978  by SST

Sometime last year photobucket said pay us a chunk of money to use your pictures. I said forget it. All my pictures posted throughout the internet via photobucket have been blocked. So much for free.