• Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sonicdoommario

Saw on Dave Perry's Twitter yesterday that the 508/521 Worcester set is running a 9-double decker set. Saw that on some YouTube railfanning video on the Providence line once. Do they have an extra car laying around or something for that to happen?
  by nomis

Robbing Peter to pay Paul ...
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

What's with all the 300-series coaches stuffed on the Old Colony this week? The auto-door Pullmans have virtually disappeared from their normal OC assignments all of a sudden.

I must admit, the duct tape jobs on the '87-era Bombers' fraying seat covers are quite...uh...admirable in execution.
  by sonicdoommario

Are we on another car shortage lately? I've seen some weird sets on the Providence line lately (I saw a 2 double/4 flat set recently), a 4 car set (3 doubles and a single), and even some all-flat sets (which increasingly seemed like a rarity on the Providence line).

Not to mention, the 842/821 set has been a 7 double set for a few weeks now. This isn't a permanent change, is it? Or was Providence being greedy with 3 8-double sets to work with? :P
  by Mbtagp40mc

MP36 010 has taken the place of a cab car on the Needham 602 this morning. It’s 010-5 doubles-unidentified HSP46.
  by Mbtagp40mc

Double header on the Worcester line this morning. 1138 leading some unidentified F40PH-2C. 1714 was the cab car.
  by sonicdoommario

That blue MassDOT locomotive was used for train 819 today, I think it's an F40PH. Is that locomotive normally used for commuter service, or do we have some locomotive shortage right now?
  by chrisf

sonicdoommario wrote:That blue MassDOT locomotive was used for train 819 today, I think it's an F40PH. Is that locomotive normally used for commuter service, or do we have some locomotive shortage right now?
It's used for commuter service regularly.
  by sonicdoommario

808 had two HSP46s latched on today. Surprisingly didn't notice until I got off at Back Bay. Was one dead and was being brought up to Boston or something?
  by MBTA3247

Doubleheaders usually mean one of two things: both units are ailing, and one is providing traction power while the other provides HEP until both can be shopped; or one just got out of the shop from a non-routine repair, and the second unit is along as protection.
  by Mbtagp40mc

I’m hearing a rumor that there’s a 4 car set with a locomotive on the inbound and outbound side. Anyone know if this is true?