Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by jscrimshaw

I was walking to work this morning (I walk by the new Train station in London Ontario) and I saw a CN Dash 9-44CW (Number 2646) pulling 6 Via rail (non LRC) cars.... Is this common practice

by SRS125

It could be that the VIA unit that was leading broke down and the crew asked to barrow a locomotive till they got to a near by city for anouther VIA Loco. Something like this happened a few years back in Syracuse, NY on Amtrak 48 in early Febuary the loco got about 8 miles from the station and suffred an electric arc over that killed the unit. The Engineer asked if he could barrow a rather beat up HCLX SD40 that was siting across from where they died out so that he could take the train back to the station. The passenger sat for hours till Amtrak 286 arrived to take them to Albany, NY the Boston half of 48 was picked up by anouther Amtrak train earlyer that same day.

by marquisofmississauga

The train hauled by the CN locomotive went through Long Branch GO station (approx. mile 10 Oakville Sub.) at about 2:15 this afternoon. One has to assume it was deadhead at this point, as it was obviously a morning train which should have been in long before that.

The morning train #70, due into Toronto at 10:15, went through Long Branch about 3 1/2 hours late.

by viahogger

The train in question was #82 from London. The Via unit had a broken
windshield (damaged through the night by vandals) The passengers were
bused to their destinations and the equipment was deadheaded back to
the TMC in Toronto. Its normal procedure for Via to rent a CN or CP unit
if a Via Rail engine or Via train can not pick up the equipment. Terry,