• Amtrak.com relaunch

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by R36 Combine Coach

Just went on the new redesigned Amtrak.com, however many links are broken or missing and the pages are still an "incomplete shell" in many cases. However all the PDF timetables are online and accessible.
  by John_Perkowski

You nailed a pet peeve, deploying a site without checking all the links.
  by JamesRR

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Just went on the new redesigned Amtrak.com, however many links are broken or missing and the pages are still an "incomplete shell" in many cases. However all the PDF timetables are online and accessible.
Broken - just like their infrastructure. :-)
  by R&DB

Can't get bookings, prices, optional routes. Sort of like the Obamacare website roll-out. Obviously not tested before published. On top of that, AmSnag can't access the database.
I'm getting ready to book a NJ-CA round trip in March 2018 and this is just frustrating. The old site worked fine.
  by STrRedWolf

Oh FFS, what is with sites that think adding padding makes for a better site. It just makes the website look FAT.

But poking around, they're getting more stuff wired in. Apparently nothing got QA'ed and they all went live. I won't be surprised if some manager bumped the switch.
  by mohawkrailfan

I can't see any way to sort itineraries by price! There is a "sort and filter" button which takes me to a list of dropdowns. There is a Price dropdown under which the options are "All Day", "Morning", "Afternoon" and "Evening". Those are not prices.
  by mmi16

STrRedWolf wrote:Oh FFS, what is with sites that think adding padding makes for a better site. It just makes the website look FAT.

But poking around, they're getting more stuff wired in. Apparently nothing got QA'ed and they all went live. I won't be surprised if some manager bumped the switch.
More likely there was a 'Due Date' for the implementation and no matter if the product was ready or not, it was being launched on the Due Date!
  by scratchy

STrRedWolf wrote:Oh FFS, what is with sites that think adding padding makes for a better site. It just makes the website look FAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tefHYLCEbAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; comes to mind
  by jonnhrr

mmi16 wrote:

More likely there was a 'Due Date' for the implementation and no matter if the product was ready or not, it was being launched on the Due Date!
Welcome to the world of Software Development :( Beta testing = give it to the customers and let them find the bugs.

Jon
  by east point

Maybe time for everyone send email to Amtrak suggesting Moorman and Anderson try to navigate the web site with no one to give hints ! If anyone can speak to them make that suggestion !
  by Backshophoss

The Sept'17 System TT pdf is available now,as are the IL and MI Thanksgiving service TT's in pdf form!
  by gokeefe

Worth noting that using the "multi city" reservation tool allows one to book non-guaranteed connections. Interesting change.
  by jonnhrr

gokeefe wrote:Worth noting that using the "multi city" reservation tool allows one to book non-guaranteed connections. Interesting change.
That's good to hear. I tried to book Portland ME - Chicago once on the old site and it was an exercise in frustration. Had to book it as 2 separate trips.
  by BandA

Does it give you a big flashing warning that the connection is not guaranteed?
  by gokeefe

Yes