• ALP46 At Both Ends

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by blockline4180

Backshophoss wrote:Believe NJT has NO intention of upgrading the Comet IV Cab Cars with ACSES,only the Comet V's,MLV-1's and MLV-II's will get the ACSES upgrade.
Along with the NJT loco fleet.

All active cab cars are subject to the same inspection cycle as locos,at 90 day intervals.
Believe there are now 2 sets with a geep acting as cab car.. Both on the Hoboken division.. 4109 is one and I think 4204 the other... Look for this stuff to continue for the foreseeable future or until all the cabs have PTC..
  by trainster78

I recently saw 2 veterans units (4635, 4645) operating on one of these sets, surprised me. Set was running a Southbound Rush NJCL train.
  by Zuccaraillo

^I've actually ridden on that set before, but i never actually realized it until i got off at Matawan.

Does anyone have an idea how the new Multilevel power cars when they arrive will affect the existing cab car and locomotive assignments?
  by trainster78

In a NJTransit fleet report in 2012, I believe they said the MLV Power Cars are supposed to arrive around 2020, orders were put out a few months ago.

And Im just gonna put this here, has anyone else noticed that Comet V 6050 sounds like it has an RS3L? I know it doesn't actually have one but 3 of the horn covers are off making it sound like one.
  by Zuccaraillo

It sounds horrible. Last time I saw 6050 was on 2608 with ALP-46A 4634
  by JamesRR

So when they have a loco on each end, which ones are actually pushing/pulling?

Does the lead always pull with the rear one 'in tow?' Or do some rear locos push while the front is pushed?

Do both power the train ever? Or are they in "idle" mode (it does sound like the ALP I saw was running) when being pulled?
  by Zuccaraillo

I heard the traction inverter whines and saw both pantos up so both ALPs were operating
  by Backshophoss

Since the MU Trainline was connected to both motors,they are working together!
  by Zuccaraillo

It is even more evident when you ride a set with 2 ALPs. The acceleration was like no other, having not ridden on an Arrow III. When crossing the Morgan Draw there was no temporary power outage.